A heated start to the Game 2 saw the Phantoms get out to a 4-2 lead after 40 minutes of play, but the Hershey Bears fought back and scored three unanswered, including the game-winning tally with 33 seconds left in regulation to earn a 5-4 win in Lehigh Valley on Saturday night.
Greg Carey scored twice and added an assist, while Chris Conner recorded three helpers in the loss.
Starting goaltender, Alex Lyon, left the game due to injury at the midway point of the third period after stopping 10 of 13 shots. Back up, Martin Ouellette, came in relief making two saves the rest of the way.
Below are some news & notes from the game:
- The Phantoms-Bears rivalry finally spilled over with several big hits and scrums after nearly every whistle throughout… The first period ended with 24 minutes on 12 penalties called.
- TJ Brennan got the Phantoms on the board in the series just 1:10 into Game 2 with a top shelf snap shot from the top of the circle on the power play to give Lehigh Valley a 1-0 lead. Brennan also added an assist to finish with a two-point night.Video: Hear from Colin McDonald on the tough loss
- Andy Miele scored with 11.5 seconds left in the opening period with the Phantoms second power-play goal of the period to make it 2-1 after 20. Miele was set up by Chris Conner, who fed hims a nice pass from behind the net.
- Christian Djoos countered for Hershey to tie it at 2-2… It was his first of the playoffs… Djoos finished the game with a goal and an assist.
- A pair of goals three minutes apart from Greg Carey gave the Phantoms a two-goal cushion entering the third period and Chris Conner recorded his third assist of the game on the goal.
- The Phantoms outshot the Bears, 25 to 8 through 40 minutes of play, but Hershey came storming back with two goals in the third period to tie it at 4-4 with under 10 minutes left to play.Video: Head Coach Scott Gordon on a tough Game 2 loss
- Chris Bourque scored the Bears' game-winning goal with 33 seconds left in regulation to give Hershey a 2 games to 0 series lead with the series shifting back to Hershey for Games 3 and 4 on Wednesday and Saturday.
- Rookie forward Nicolas Aube-Kubel was inserted into the lineup after sitting out Game 1… Coming out is Tyrell Goulbourne, who recorded seven penalty minutes on Friday which included the game's only fight.
- Defenseman Philippe Myers, who joined the Phantoms after his junior season in the QMJHL with Rouyn-Noranda ended, participated in warmups with the team, but did not play.
To get up to speed in the series, catch Game 1 in 60 seconds HERE: