Monday, September 29, 2014
NY Rangers 6, Flyers 3
at Madison Square Garden
- The Flyers were outshot 13-1 midway through the first 15 minutes of the opening period… Andrew Gordon rang one off the post with 40 seconds left in the first period, which ended with the Rangers leading, 3-0.
- Two fights broke out 13 minutes into the game. Zack Stortini dropped the gloves in a lengthy bout against Tanner Glass, and just over a minute later Blair Jones took on Ryan McDonagh.
- Taylor Leier posted a goal for the second straight night on a wrap around attempt early in the second period… Leier now has two goals in four preseason games with the Flyers, not including a two-goal effort in one AHL preseason game.
- Shayne Gostisbehere picked up the only assist on Leier’s goal… He also added the third Flyers goal with a shot from the point… Gostisbehere now has two goals and an assist in three preseason games.
- After posting just five shots on goal in the first period, the Flyers responded with 12 shots in the second including two goals.
- Blair Jones took a puck to the side of the mouth from a deflection off a Flyers shot… He received four stitches, but won’t miss any time.
JONES: “Well I knew when it hit me, obviously it hurt, but I still had my bearings and I grabbed my stick and felt ok. I just knew I was bleeding. That’s part of the game and things like that happen.”
- Pierre-Edouard Bellemare appeared in his first game since the first Flyers preseason game on Sept. 22 at London, Ont., … He had 13:50 of ice-time, all of which came at even strength.
FLYERS HEAD COACH CRAIG BERUBE: "It’s not the starts, it’s the defending part of the game. We have to check better as a team. That’s the bottom line."