Flyers 5, NY Islanders 2 at Wells Fargo Center
Friday, September 25, 2015
The Flyers put up five goals again to run their preseason record to 3-1-0 as they defeated the New York Islanders, 5-2 on Friday night. It was their second win in three games against the Isles in the preseason and second straight win on home ice.
Below are some post game news, notes & quotes from the game:
- The Flyers have now scored 17 goals through four games in the preseason bringing their average goals per game to 4.25.
- The Flyers have won five straight preseason games at the Wells Fargo Center dating back to last season: 2014 (3-0-0) & 2015 (2-0-0)
- The Flyers were 2-for-5 on the power play and are now 7-for-16 (43.8 pct) this preseason.
- Michael Neuvirth played all 60 minutes in tonight’s win, stopping 23 of 25 shots, including all nine he faced in the third period.
“Felt definitely better, 2nd game in, we spent a lot of time in the box in the 1st period. There’s a lot of time in our zone, so it wasn’t easy, but I definitely felt better today after last game,” said Neuvrith.
- Five different Flyers scored in tonight’s game (Porter, Gostisbehere, B. Schenn, Raffl and Read) and 11 different players recorded at least a point. Defenseman Evgeny Medvedev was the only Flyers to record more than one point - he had two assists.
- Medvedev has appeared in all three games possible this preseason, where he has recorded four points (1g-3a).
- Shayne Gostisbehere and Brayden Schenn each scored their third goals of the preseason, which both lead the team. Two of Gostisbehere’s goals have come on the power play. Schenn has three goals on five shots this preseason.
“Every guy that has played in the lineup has stood out at times during games and that’s what you want in camp,” said Schenn. “Competition brings out the best in everyone and guys compete hard for spots.”
“I think for me my game is me playing with a little chip on my shoulder, getting in the forecheck, being physical, trying to make plays when I can, so if you can’t get up for a training camp game where you’re trying to make the team then you shouldn’t be there,” said Porter.