Sunday, September 28, 2014
New Jersey 3, Flyers 1 at Prudential Center
- The Flyers 3-1 loss at Newark dropped their preseason record to 2-2-1, including a split with the New Jersey Devils in their home-and-home series… The game also marked the first of three games in three nights for the Flyers, who will take on the New York Rangers at MSG on Monday at 7 p.m.
- Blair Jones appeared in his third preseason game for the Flyers, centering Taylor Leier and Brett Hextall… Jones posted an assist for the third straight game bringing his preseason total to four assists in three games… Jones also recorded five of the Flyers 16 total shots on net — it was the most shots on goal by anyone on either team.
LEIER: “I’m just really going with the flow and trying to work my way back up, doing the little things while I’m down [with the Phantoms] and working hard. Whatever happens, happens and it’s not under my control anymore. I just have to do the things I can do. I’m happy and grateful that I got to come up here and play.”
- Taylor Leier, called up to play from the Phantoms, posted the only goal of the game on a rebound from a nice rush by Jones.
- Goaltender Rob Zepp appeared in the entire game for the Flyers, recording 38 saves by allowing two goals on 40 shots… It was his first full 60-minute start since joining the Flyers.
- The Devils outshot the Flyers 13-2 by the end of the first period with the Flyers taking three minor penalties in the period… The Flyers ended up with seven minor penalties in the game.
FLYERS HEAD COACH CRAIG BERUBE: “We’ve got Boston around the corner here at the start of the season. We can’t just turn it on. You’ve got to get yourself ready to go and ready to compete - that’s the biggest thing. If you’re not ready to compete; to skate in a regular season game, even in an exhibition game, you’re going to get embarrassed like we did tonight.”
- Michael Del Zotto led the Flyers with 24:00 of ice times, while Sean Couturier led all forwards on the club with over 22 minutes of TOI (22:15).