Philadelphia Flyers Postgame Notes
Thursday, September 25, 2014
Flyers 4, New Jersey 0 | Wells Fargo Center
Scott Laughton: “I think strength is a huge thing. I gained a lot of weight and been stronger and I think my overall shot is better and also my overall confidence. I think that’s the biggest thing for me is just having confidence and being comfortable with the puck in the offensive zone.”
- Rookie Scott Laughton led the Flyers with a goal and two assists, while tying for a team-high four shots on goal through 16:54 of ice time… Laughton spent a majority of the night playing with Taylor Leier and Blair Jones, but saw significant time on the power-play.
- The Flyers were 3-for-5 on the power play, with goals on each of the first three man-advantages, all in the first period… The Flyers now have a 7-for-12 mark on the man advantage so far through two games at the Wells Fargo Center.
- Steve Mason stopped all eight shots he saw through 29:55 in the first and second periods, while Rob Zepp stopped 16 shots, including 10 he faced in the third period to preserve the shutout.
Mason on his game tonight…
“I really have been working on different commands playing the puck and trying to communicate with the defensemen so it was a little sloppy in the first period but you work those things out in pre-season, make sure you’re ready for the regular season.”
- Nine different Flyers recorded a point in the win with 15 different players recording at least one shot on goal.
- The Flyers improved to 2-1-1 in the preseason, playing their fourth game in four days, and going 2-0-0 on home ice… The Flyers’ 4-0 shutout win over the Devils marked the first preseason shutout since Sept. 20, 2011 (4-0 at Toronto).
- The Flyers return to practice on Friday, 11:30 a.m. at the Virtua Center Flyers Skatezone, and resume preseason play when they play the second half of the home-and-home series against the Devils on Sunday at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ… Sunday’s game also marks the first of games on three straight days.