New Jersey 4, Flyers 2 at Wells Fargo Center
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
The Flyers overcame an early New Jersey goal to take a 2-1 lead after one period, but the Devils staged a comeback of their own to go up 3-2 before sealing things with an empty-netter. Chris Porter and Wayne Simmonds scored for the Flyers, while Michael Del Zotto recorded a pair of assists. Travis Zajac scored twice for the Devils, who also got goals from Tuomo Ruutu and Adam Henrique. Michal Neuvirth made 15 saves on 18 shots through two periods, while Jason LaBarbera stopped all eight shots he saw in the third.
“I think Friday’s important and I think tomorrow is important, no question,” said head coach Dave Hakstol. “I think there was a little dip tonight for us, like I said we didn’t generate a whole lot, we didn’t have a whole lot of pop to our game so I think that is something we want to try to regain as we go through the game on Friday and then we will reevaluate exactly where we are at going into the week of practice next week, I don’t want to bypass or look past Friday because I think Friday is an important day for us.”
- The Flyers have scored a goal on the power play in four straight games and five of six games so far in the preseason… They are now 9-for-25 on the preseason (36.0 percent) on the man advantage.
“We have a lot of tough decisions,” said GM Ron Hextall. “You have to get your roster down and it’s not easy. We think we have more guys that can play, than can stay on our roster so that’s part of the business of guys having to go on waivers and at some point certain guys are going to go down, so we haven’t totally finished off those decisions, but we’ll see.”
- Jason LaBarbera entered the game in the third period taking over for Michal Neuvirth, who was held out of the final period for precautionary reasons… Neuvirth stopped 15 of 18 shots though 40 minutes of play.
- LaBarbera stopped all eight shots he faced in the third period - the lone goal scored in the third was an empty-net goal.
- Michael Del Zotto recorded assists on both Flyers goals tonight. He now has five points (1g-4a) in just three preseason games to lead all Flyers in scoring.
- Four of the six defensemen logged over 20 minutes of ice time in tonight’s game (Del Zotto, Medvedev, Streit & Schultz) with Mark Streit leading the way with 21:17.
- The Flyers will practice at 11 AM Thursday at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees. They will conclude the preseason Friday night at New Jersey (7PM, 93.3 WMMR).