Video: Read, Giroux lead Flyers to shootout win
1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
For the second consecutive night, the Flyers tied a game in the final minutes and ended up winning in extra time, this time 3-2 in a shootout over the Islanders. After a scoreless first half of the game, Travis Konecny put the Flyers on the board with 8:49 left in the second period.
But the Islanders tied it on a power play goal by John Tavares with 29 seconds left in the frame and jumped ahead when Dennis Seidenberg put one home with 6:05 to play in the third. The Flyers were in a 6-on-4 situation, with a power play and the net empty for an extra attacker, when Matt Read bagged the equalizer with just under 58 seconds left to play.
After a scoreless overtime, Claude Giroux posted the only goal of the shootout, while Michal Neuvirth stopped three Islanders attempts. Neuvirth turned away 25 bids in regulation and overtime, while Jaroslav Halak made 40 saves on 42 Flyers shots.
Video: Claude Giroux on shootout & comeback win
2. THE TURNING POINT
Another crashing the net moment led to the game-tying goal with 58 seconds remaining. Matt Read potted the goal that was started by a point shot from Mark Streit and tipped by Nick Cousins. The goal forced overtime and secured at least a point for the second straight night.
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Travis Konecny: Got the Flyers on the board with the first goal of the game. A great effort on a breakaway that saw him originally stopped, but a second effort led to his second goal of the year.
2 - John Tavares: Scored his team-leading fifth goal of the season.
3 - Jakub Voracek: Was a +1 and logged over 22 minutes of ice time (22:17) and played a key role in the game-tying goal with under a minute to go in regulation.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers won their second shootout of the year in as many attempts. It's the first time since the onset of the shootout in 2005 that the Flyers have won their first two shootouts in a given season. Their previous best was winning two out of the first three in the 2009-10 season.
* The Flyers had 42 shots, their third game of 40 or more shots this season. They had a total of 79 shot attempts, including 18 that were blocked and 19 that missed the net. It's the fourth game of 70 or more shot attempts this season, all of which have happened in the last six games.
* Shayne Gostisbehere recorded 15 shot attempts in the game. He tied his career high of seven shots on goal, which he set back on Oct. 15 at Arizona, and added two shots that were blocked and six that missed.
* Sixteen of the Flyers' 18 skaters registered at least one shot in the game.
* Ivan Provorov recorded five shot attempts in 20:09. He recorded two hits and two blocked shots.
* Brandon Manning played a team-high 22:48. He had four shots on goal and eight total attempts.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I got a good pass from Gudy and I tried beating the goalie high-glove but he read it pretty good. Nine times out of 10 the puck is going to bounce somewhere else but it came right back to my stick and luckily enough I put it in."
- Travis Konecny
Video: Travis Konecny after the 3-2 shootout win
"I liked our entire 65 minutes. You're going to have some portions of your game when momentum swings away a little bit and that happened tonight, but I thought we pushed the momentum right back in our direction in one or two of those cases, and did a good job through all 65, right from the first drop of the puck."
- Dave Hakstol