In an intersquad game at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday evening -- the only dress rehearsal for opening night in lieu of an exhibition game --- Team White defeated Team Orange by a 4-2 score.
Kevin Hayes scored a pair of first period goals to stake Team Orange to a 2-0 lead. Team White responded with second period tallies by Nicolas Aube-Kubel and Nolan Patrick to knot the score at 2-2.
With the score tied at 2-2 through 55 minutes, the final five minutes of the third period were played at 3-on-3. This was followed by a practice shootout that went nine rounds.
Scott Laughton scored solo on Ellliott in the 3-on-3 to make it 3-2. This was followed by James van Riemsdyk taking a lead pass from Phil Myers, going in alone and beating Elliott.
Carter Hart started in goal for Team White. He stopped 13 of 15 shots through the first 55 minutes. In the 3-on-3, he stopped all four he saw. In the shootout, Hart was 9-for-9.
Brian Ellliott was in goal for Team Orange. "Moose" stopped 26 of 28 shots through the first 55 minutes. In the three-on-three, Elliott stopped two of four. In the shootout. he stopped 8 of 9. Only Michael Raffl scored on his attempt.
Wisdom - Wylie
Bigras - Pouliot
Foerster - Willman
Team White had the better of the territorial play most of the game. Finally, it paid off in the second period. Just as important, after letting in a goal (the second Hayes tally) he may have wanted back, Hart was a brick wall whenever he was tested thereafter.
1) Precision passing, especially from Claude Giroux to goal-scorer Hayes set up Orange's goal that opened the scoring at 3:12 of the first period on his side's first shot on goal in the Intrasquad game. Joel Farabee got the secondary helper as Hayes scored from the bottom of the right circle. Later, Hayes struck again. Farabee centered the puck out of the corner, and Haye from a tight angle scored a second-effort goal lam-in to Hart's glove side.
2) Morgan Frost had an active first period, moving his feet and winning 50-50 battles (two things the Flyers want to see more consistency in his second pro year). He set up a chance for Scott Laughton. Later, on the game's first power play, Nolan Patrick made a beautiful pass to set up a grade A chance for Frost but the latter was unable to finish it. First period shots were 12-6 in White's favor. Orange starter Brian Elliott looked sharp including a deflection save on James van Riemsdyk. A nicely conceived play with Jakub Voracek passing to Patrick was tipped just wide by Patrick.
3) Team White cut the gap to 2-1 as Aube-Kubel took a pass from Scott Laughton and sniped a shot from the right circle. Just before that, Hart denied Konecny with the glove from the middle slot to keep the deficit at 2-0.
The Patrick line, buzzing all game, finally got a payoff to tie the score at 2-2. Vorace cut across the left circle and over the middle to pass to Max Willman on the right wing. Patrick then tipped home the puck through the legs of Egor Zamula.
4) It was only an intrasquad game, but the two sides competed and had fun chirping one another. Zayde Wisdom earned stick taps from the Team Orange bench, led by Hayes, for blocking a Phil Myers shot attempted early in the second period. Samuel Morin threw a pair of hits in one shift. The Team White bench whooped it up after Hart denied Carsen Twarynski on a breakaway after a turnover up high in the attack zone and Twarynski splitting the defense. Team White out-shot Team Black, 13-4, in the middle frame.
5) Wyatte Wylie, a defenseman playing forward in the intrasquad game, got past Myers and was fouled for a penalty shot. Hart denied his former Silvertips teammate's backhanded try after cutting to the left. On Team Orange's first power play of the game, Hart stopped Hayes from the left hash marks and Konecny from the doorstep.
6) In the 3-on-3 over the last five minutes, Hates caught Frost unaware in the neutral zone. At the other end, Laughton made it 3-2 on an unassisted goal, going upstairs on Elliot. JVR's goal saw him take a lead pass from Myers, deke and go forehand to backhand before sliding the puck home.
Sean Couturier (Orange): Shot over the net.
Nolan Patrick (White): Wrister over the net.
Claude Giroux (Orange): Didn't put his shot where he wanted it, puck went wide.
Jakub Voracek (White): Robbed by a sprawling Elliott's glove
Kevin Hayes (Orange) Moved slowly to the right, denied by Elliott.
Morgan Frost: (White): Moved left, stopped by the pad.
Travis Konecny (Orange); Failed to beat Hart over the glove
James van Riemsdyk (White): Shot over the net.
Oskar Lindblom (Orange): Moved left, ran himself into a tight angle and denied by Hart.
Scott Laughton (White): Moved left, slid the puck through the crease
Joel Farabee (Orange): Denied by Hart's pad.
Nicolas Aube-Kubel (White): Shot off Elliott's glove.
Carsen Twarynski (Orange): Shot into Hart's midsection
Linus Sandin ( White) beat Elliot cleanly but, hit the post
Ivan Provorov (Orange): backhander stopped
Connor Bunnaman (White): Wrister stopped
Andy Andreoff (Orange): Moved left, Hart stopped him cold.
Michael Raffl (White): Ripped a slapshot past Eliott for the only goal of the shootout.