1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Brayden Schenn scored a power play goal 8:43 into the third period that stood up as the game winner as the Flyers recovered from an early Minnesota tally to beat the Wild 3-2. Nino Niederreiter put Minnesota on the board just 21 seconds into the game, after which Brandon Manning tied things up with 7:33 left in the first on a slapshot through traffic from the left point.
The Wild took another lead with just over 8 ½ minutes left in the second when Mikael Granlund cleaned up a loose puck in front, but again the Flyers answered before the break - this time on the first of the year for Michael Del Zotto, which came off a feed from Michael Raffl with 2:15 left in the second.
Schenn's goal was the only one of the third, and Steve Mason was able to hold Minnesota off the rest of the way after coming in relief of Michal Neuvirth, stopping 19 of 20 over the final two periods. Neuvirth left the game with an unspecified injury after the first period. Devan Dubnyk turned aside 33 of 36 in absorbing the loss.
2. THE TURNING POINT
Michael Del Zotto kicked off the own play that he finished… He led a rush up the ice and passed it to Michael Raffl before darting to the net… Raffl slid a pass in front hoping to re-connect with Del Zotto. While Del Zotto couldn't get his stick on it, the moment of the play caused the pass to deflect off his skate and past Devan Dubnyk… After an official review, the goal stood and tied the game at 2-2 late in the second period to set up a chance at third-period redemption from their loss at Toronto.
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Michael Raffl: Had the primary assist on a two-on-one where he fed Michael Del Zotto on the game-tying goal. He also was a +2 in the contest.
2 - Wayne Simmonds: His highlight-reel, between the legs pass fed Brayden Schenn perfectly on the game-winning goal.
3 - Brayden Schenn: Scored the game-winning goal, and had four shots on net and five hits in the game.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers are now 4-0-1 in the second games of back-to-backs, winning four straight, while each of the five games, the opponent did not play the night before.
* The Flyers had two goals from defensemen in tonight's game (Brandon Manning & Michael Del Zotto)… The Flyers defense continues to lead the NHL with 48 points (12g-36A) and is tied for second in goals among d-men (12).
* The Flyers recorded a power-play goal for the fifth straight game, going 1-for-3 and have now scored a PPG in nine out of their last 10 contests.
* Brayden Schenn scored his third goal of the year… He now has all 10 of his points on home ice (3g-7a).
* Michal Neuvirth started the game, stopping six of seven shots, but left after the first period due to injury.
* Brandon Manning now has eight points on the season, which is a new career-high.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I thought the boys played a strong game, coming in off of last night obviously, and pretty embarrassing coming out of the third period. I came in this morning and had a meeting and it wasn't really a positive meeting, it was showing stuff that I can maybe be better at. Guys were strong on the boards tonight, getting pucks deep and in order for us to be successful that's what you have to do. Overall I thought it was a pretty strong game."
- Steve Mason
"We knew we had to bounce back. It was really, really disappointing the third period last night. Came back tonight, we did 60 minutes. We played it together. We liked our effort and now we need to carry that momentum in the next game. Keep moving forward. We can't sit back on one game. We need to string a few together."
- Michael Del Zotto
"It was one of Raffs better games. Raff, Dale Weise, Reader those were real important guys tonight. That is something we need to see continue at that level and on a consistent basis."
- Dave Hakstol