HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
After being shut out for the first 53 minutes of the game, the Panthers struck twice in the final 6:44 to steal a 2-1 victory over the Flyers in South Florida on Saturday night.
Shayne Gostisbehere opened the scoring 1:45 into the game, but Jonathan Huberdeau tied it on the power play and Mike Hoffman sealed a 3-on-2 rush for the game winner in the third period.
Carter Hart stopped all 23 shots he faced in the first two periods before allowing two in the third. He made 34 saves in total to take the loss. James Reimer stopped 34 of 35 in the win.
Stars of the Game:
1 - Jonathan Huberdeau (1g-1a)
2 - James Reimer (34 saves on 35 shots)
3 - Carter Hart (34 saves on 36 shots)
The turning point came with 1:06 left in the third period as the Panthers capped off a rapid comeback to steal the win... Florida attacked as Jonathan Huberdeau skated down the wide open right side to take a feed from Barkov to score the winning goal... The Flyers made a desperation 6-on-5 push but Reimer authored a final save on Claude Giroux to nail down the win.
1) The best things from the first period from the Flyers' standpoint: Carter Hart's poised play in goal as he made 14 saves, Shayne Gostisbehere jumping into play effectively several times (with a goal to show for it), a strong 5-on-3/ 5-on-4 penalty kill, and Jordan Weal with an effective period in his return to the lineup. Negatives: Two awful turnovers (the Flyers were lucky not to get scored on) and several failed clears. The Panthers controlled much of the mid-period portion of the opening stanza.Video: PHI@FLA: Hart makes trio of saves in the 1st
2) The Flyers did not get much going offensively in the second period -- with the exception of a Grade A chance in front for Michael Raffl on a lose puck -- and had some puck management issues in the neutral zone. On the positive side, when there were breakdowns, Hart (9 second period saves) erased them. The Flyers also blocked numerous shot attempts to snuff out plays.
3) The Flyers had some attack zone time, including their first power play of the game in the first half of the third period but the best scoring chance belonged to Florida as the dangerous Aleksander Barkov made a play in the attack zone. Radko Gudas saved the Flyers a goal, batting a fluttering puck away before it go in the net.
4) The Flyers played with fire again and finally got burned as a poor decision with the puck by Travis Konecny and a James van Riemsdyk stick infraction canceled out a Flyers power play. On the ensuing Florida power play, Ivan Provorov failed to get the puck down the ice. Mike Hoffman ended up with a shot from prime shooting range that Hart had little chance to stop.
JUST THE STATS
* The Flyers close out the season series against Florida with a 1-2-0 mark with all three games being decided by one goal... They have also dropped three straight games in South Florida.
* Ivan Provorov led the Flyers with 25:05 of ice time... Wayne Simmonds led the team with five shots on goal... Claude Giroux was 82% on face-offs, going 14-of-17.
* Shayne Gostisbehere posted a goal to give him seven points (3g-4a) in 10 games against the team he grew up cheering for.Video: PHI@FLA: Gostisbehere opens scoring with snap shot
* Jordan Weal entered the lineup and factored into the first goal, dropping back to Gostisbehere for his first point since Nov. 23... In total he was a +1 and played 12:56 and had two shots on goal.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from the players following loss in FLA
Video: Hear from Gordon following loss in FLA