HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Kevin Hayes and Travis Sanheim scored two goals apiece and Carter Hart made 34 saves to anchor the Flyers' 5-1 win.
New York took a 1-0 lead on a shorthanded goal by Jesper Fast 6:44 into the second period, but Sanheim tied it with his first with 1.7 seconds left in the frame to send it to the second intermission tied at 1-1.
Hayes scored the eventual game-winner 7:31 into the third period, making it 2-1; the Flyers then scored three times in the final 3:13 to change the final course of the contest - Sanheim and Hayes each tallied again, and Nicolas Aube-Kubel scored his first NHL goal. Henrik Lundqvist absorbed the loss with 25 saves.
1st: Kevin Hayes (2g)
2nd: Carter Hart (34 of 35)
3rd: Travis Sanheim (2g-1a)
With 1.7 seconds left in the middle frame, a bouncing Sanheim shot found the net off a skate, through a Travis Konecny screen and off Lundqvist's stick. The Flyers used Travis Sanheim's buzzer-beater as a springboard to a strong third period, which turned the tide in this one.Video: NYR@PHI: Sanheim sneaks wrister through for late goal
* Both teams' goaltenders stood out in the first period; Lundqvist particularly on a great save against Jakub Voracek and Hart on a 10-bell save on Adam Fox. The Flyers withstood a lengthy 5-on-3 penalty kill, holding the Rangers to a single shot. The work of Kevin Hayes stood out in particular during the kill.
* The Flyers have been an excellent second period team for must of the season but that was not the case on this night. The Rangers took the play to Philadelphia for much of the period, especially the first 10 minutes. Going 0-for-5 on the power play through two periods -- and generating very little during the advantages -- was a particular momentum killer for Philly.
* Hart made a strong save to prevent the Rangers' initial shorthanded bid off an Ivan Provorov turnover but the Flyers never recovered defensively, and Jesper Fast made them pay. At the other end of the ice, Lundqvist made an outstanding glove save to rob Morgan Frost from the right circle.
* In the third period, the Flyers got timely saves by Hart and a pair of Hayes goals, sandwiched around another by Sanheim, enabled Philly to take a satisfying victory into the holiday break. Video: NYR@PHI: Hayes roofs tic-tac-toe goal in transition
* The Flyers won their fourth straight game and moved into third place in the Metropolitan Division with a 21-11-5 record for 47 points.
* The Flyers have scored a power-play goal in three straight games, going 5-for-16 (31.2%).
* James van Riemsdyk added a pair of assists to give him multi-points in three straight games (4g-2a) and he continues to lead the Flyers in the month of December with 12 points (7g-5a) in 10 games.
* Carter Hart continued his home dominance with his seventh straight win at the Wells Fargo Center, going 7-0-0 with a 1.29 GAA and .955 save percentage.
* Kevin Hayes' two-goal night gives him seven points (3g-4a) in his last five games.
* Travis Sanheim recorded his first career three-point game and third career two-goal game. He had four shots on goal, seven total attempts, and was plus-3 in 18:41 of ice time.
* Nicolas Aube-Kubel scored his first NHL goal.
* The Flyers encore three days off for the holidays and four days before dropping the puck again as they fly to San Jose for their longest trip of the season - six games, 12 days beginning with the Sharks on Dec. 28 (10:30 p.m., NBCSP+ | 93.3 WMMR).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Hayes, Sanheim and Hart following winVideo: Hear from Flyers coach following over NYR