1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers made things interesting with a pair of extra-attacker goals in the final two minutes of the third period, but came up just short in a 4-3 loss.
After a scoreless first period, Valtteri Filppula opened the scoring capitalizing off a great play by Jordan Weal to force the turnover 33 seconds into the second period.
Mika Zibanejad got the Rangers back with a power-play goal, scoring in the high slot on starting goaltender Anthony Stolarz. Brendan Smith then made it 2-1 Rangers after taking a feed from Mats Zuccarello and flipping a backhand shot top shelf on Stolarz.
The Rangers tallied a pair of goals in the third period to open up a 4-1 lead, but the Flyers never quit and kept pushing. Brayden Schenn scored with just over two minutes left with the goaltender pulled in favor of an extra attacker to make it 4-2, then Filppula scored his second of the night to bring it to 4-3 with 1:15 left to play.
The Flyers pressed and even had a 6-on-4 advantage with a power-play, but Lundqvist came up with a few big saves to seal the Rangers win. Lundqvist stopped 20 of 23 shots, while Stolarz stopped 20 of 24.
2. TURNING POINT
A pair of goals two minutes apart near the midway point of the third period from the Rangers proved to be the difference in the contest. With the Flyers fighting to the bitter end and scoring twice with the goaltender pulled, the pair of New York tallies, specifically Chris Kreider's goal with 10:50 left in the third, gave the Blueshirts a 4-1 lead and ultimately held up in the 4-3 loss.Video: PHI@NYR: Schenn beats Lundqvist with long slap shot
3. THREE STARS
1 - Mats Zuccarello: Recorded three assists, setting up the Rangers first three goals of the game to give him 13 points (3g-10a) in his last 11 games.
2 - Valtteri Filppula: Posted his first multi-goal game with two goals, was a +2 and led the team with 3 shots on goal.Video: PHI@NYR: Filppula nets rebound to pull Flyers closer
3 - Brendan Smith: Recorded the second Rangers goal which, up until the last two minutes of the game, gave the edge to the Rangers the entire way.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* Tonight's defeat mathematically eliminated the Flyers from playoff contention. They will miss the postseason for just the 11th time in their 49 seasons of play.
* Jordan Weal extended his point streak to five straight games with an assist tonight… He now has four goals and six points during the five-game streak.Video: PHI@NYR: Filppula whips a backhand past Lundqvist
* Brayden Schenn extended his point streak to five straight with his goal in the third period… He has three goals and six points in his last five.
* Schenn's goal was his 25th of the season, marking the second straight season he has recorded 25 or more goals… He is one shy of his career high of 26 set last year.
* Shayne Gostisbehere registered a pair of assists in tonight's game to extend his point streak to five in-a-row… He has six assists and seven points during the streak.
* Gostisbehere also recorded his 30th & 31st assists of the season, marking a new career high in assists.
* The Flyers play their final road game of the regular season when they travel to Newark to take on the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday (7:00 p.m., CSN & 93.3 WMMR).
5. THEY SAID ITVideo: Giroux on the loss & eliminated from playoff huntVideo: Head Coach after a tough 4-3 loss to Rangers