1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
It took nine rounds, but the Flyers came out on the winning end of an epic shootout win over the visiting Boston Bruins, 3-2.
The Flyers got off to a 2-0 lead in the first period and after a scoreless second frame, the Bruins tied it up with two quick goals in the third. After trading chances and spectacular saves by both teams in overtime, the real action came in the shootout, which lasted nine rounds.
Steve Mason and Tuukka Rask turned aside the first four shooters, then Jakub Voracek and Brad Marchand netted goals to keep the rotation going for a little while longer. The next three shooters on both sides failed to convert, but Shayne Gostisbehere's flick shot over the glove of Rask found it's way in and Steve Mason ended the night with a glove save on David Backes.
2. THE TURNING POINT
Tonight's turning point came with a flurry of saves in overtime from goaltender Steve Mason, who had let in two goals in the third period which gave the Bruins momentum heading into the 3 on 3 extra session. Mason's saves paved the way for an even matchup in the shootout, where he bested Tuukka Rask and stopped eight of nine shooters.Video: BOS@PHI: Mason makes a pair of clutch overtime saves
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Shayne Gostisbehere: Logged 21:30 of ice-time, the most of any player on the Flyers. Oh, and scored the game-winning shootout goal with a flick of his wrist.
2 - Steve Mason: Stopped a season high 45 shots, including all six he faced in overtime and eight of nine shooters for the win.
3 - Torey Krug: Set up both Bruins goals with the primary assists in the third period to force overtime and logged the most ice time of any player in the game (25:53).
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* This was the 14th out of 24 games that has been decided by one goal for the Flyers, who are 6-5-3 in that scenario… This was also the seventh game decided past regulation and fifth in the month of November.
* The Flyers are now 3-2 in shootouts this season and snapped a skid of losing two straight shootouts.
* The Flyers close out November with a 7-5-2 record, including a 5-2-2 mark at home.
* With a goal by Michael Del Zotto, the Flyers defense has recorded at least a point in 21 of 24 games, and a total of eight points (3g-5a) in their last four games.
* The Flyers defense leads the NHL with 63 point, posting 16 goals and 47 assists.
5. THEY SAID IT
"Yeah I mean I was talking to him back there and I really noticed his hands were low so I said I'm going to go in there and just chip one high. Thankfully, it worked out. He got a piece of it but it had enough to get in there."
- Shayne GostisbehereVideo: Gostisbehere talks about shootout winner
"Mase was the best player on the ice tonight. He's got two points tonight; it was a heck of a performance from him."
- Dave Hakstol
Video: Coach Hakstol's postgame press conference
"I lost track. I wish I took advantage of making the save on the first opportunity and didn't have to drag it out a little bit longer."
- Steve Mason
"Like I said, he played a strong game and he kept us in the game. It was one of the best games I've seen from him in a while. He made some saves across ice with his pad there and that kind of gives you a little boost as a player."
- Claude Giroux