HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Bouncing back from one of the poorest 60-minute performances of the season one night earlier, the Philadelphia Flyers overcame an early deficit to defeat the Anaheim Ducks in overtime, 2-1, on Sunday night.
Sean Couturier answered a seeing-eye goal by Anaheim's Erik Gudbranson in the first period. After the game remaining knotted the rest of regulation, including a 1:14 two-man penalty kill by the Flyers in the third period, the Flyers prevailed in overtime on a Kevin Hayes tally. Jakub Voracek assisted on both Flyers goals.
After being beaten on the first shot of the game, Brian Elliott turned back 27 in a row. John Gibson denied 33 of 35 shots.
1st: Kevin Hayes (game-winning goal)
2nd: John Gibson (33 of 35 shots)
3rd: Claude Giroux (1a)
How fast things can change in hockey: Jakub Voracek was nearly the goat on a turnover looking to pass to Kevin Hayes. Moments later, he made a gorgeous tape-to-tape feed to Hayes, who goes in to score the OT winner at 3:53.Video: PHI@ANA: Hayes scores game-winner on breakaway in OT
* The first period, while far from the Flyers' A game, was an improvement over Saturday's debacle in San Jose in terms of energy, compete level and resiliency after falling behind early on a knuckleball of a shot that eluded Brian Elliott. Claude Giroux and Joel Farabee were particularly active on the Philly side. Overall, it was still a little sporadic but the Flyers got to intermission tied at 1-1.
* A simple shot on net with traffic in front drew the Flyers even in the first period as Sean Couturier found a Jakub Voracek rebound sitting on the doorstep and deposited in past John Gibson.
* The Flyers controlled most of the second period from both a territorial and shot volume standpoint. Both teams had some good looks at the net, with Elliott's tougher chances mostly coming over the latter part of the frame. Overall shots attempts were 40-28 in the Flyers' favor through the opening 40 minutes.Video: PHI@ANA: Couturier jams rebound past Gibson
* The entire Flyers' PK unit stepped up during Anaheim's lengthy 5-on-3 power play in the third period but no one was better than Elliott. He made a pair of excellent saves on Jakob Silfverberg in particular.
* The Flyers earned their fourth straight win over the Ducks for the first time in franchise history... It was also their third straight win at Anaheim, which is also a franchise record.
* Kevin Hayes scored his 12th goal of the season, which is tied with James van Riemsdyk for the team lead... It was also his third game-winning goal.
* Sean Couturier's goal gives him points in six straight "second" games of a back to back... He now has nine points (2g-7a) playing in second game of back-to-back.
* Jake Voracek leads the team in scoring of the second game of back to back with 10 points (3g-7a) in eight second games.
* Up next for the Flyers is a game on New Year's Eve in LA against the Kings. Puck drop s 9 p.m. ET on NBCSP & 97.5 The Fanatic.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following win over ANAVideo: Hear from Giroux, Hayes and Elliott following win