1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Wayne Simmonds posted a hat trick, two goals on the power play and his 400th point in the NHL as the Flyers walked away with a 5-3 win over the Sharks at the SAP Center in San Jose.
The Flyers and Sharks traded goals in the first period with Giroux and Weal grabbing a 2-0 lead, but Kevin Lebanc adding a pair late to tie it back up. Simmonds first of the night gave the Flyers a 3-2 lead late in the second, but the Sharks came back to tied it, 3-3, early in the third.
Simmonds got his second of the night, which proved to be the game-winner, six seconds into the Flyers' third power play of the night, helping the Flyers go a perfect 3-for-3. He added an empty-netter to complete the hat trick.
Brian Elliott won his first start as a Flyer by stopping 32 of 35 shots, including 23 of the last 24 shots he saw in the second and third period.
2. TURNING POINT
The Third Period.
The Flyers entered the final frame having just regained the lead off another power-play goal, but the Sharks fought back in each of the previous instances and struck yet again early in the third to tie it up.
The Flyers never took their foot off the gas and fired more shots in the third, 17 to be exact, than the first two combined (14). They capitalized on power-play opportunities, shut down the amount of scoring chances and added some cushion with the empty netter to seal the win.Video: PHI@SJS: Simmonds nets second PPG for his 400th point
3. THREE STARS
1. Wayne Simmonds: Recorded the first hat trick in Flyers history in a season-opening game.
2. Brian Elliott: Earned his first win as a Flyer with 32 saves, many of which he made through traffic to preserve the Flyers lead.
3. Jakub Voracek: Recorded three assists and a +1 rating on 17:15 of ice time
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers went 3-for-5 on the power-play, which included going a perfect 3-for-3 on their first three opportunities.
* Giroux's goal was the third time he has scored the Flyers' season-opening goal (2011-12, 2012-13).Video: PHI@SJS: Giroux buries Voracek's feed after turnover
* The Flyers were outshot, 24-14, after 40 minutes of play and scored their first three goals on just 13 shots.
* All three Flyers power-play goals came off of penalties from Kevin Labanc, who scored two of the Sharks three goals.
* Shayne Gostisbehere tied his career-high with three assists… He logged 18:12 of ice time, 3:09 of which came on the man advantage.
* Ivan Provorov led all players in the game in time-on-ice at 25:35 and all players with five blocked shots.
* With an assist on the Couture's goal, Brent Burns recorded his 500th NHL point.
5. THEY SAID ITVideo: Hear from Simmonds following hat trick
"It was a good breakout on the power play and we executed what we wanted to do. TK made a great play to get the puck to me in the middle and I just put it in a spot where I thought I could either put it in or if it didn't go in it would create a rebound for a guy going to the net, but it found a way in."
- Jordan Weal on his goal
"We did some great things in the first two periods but we also made some mistakes. It's early in the season. We just have to stick to our hockey, get shots to the net and we'll be fine."
- Shayne GostisbehereVideo: Hear from Hakstol following season opener win