HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Carter Hart stopped a career-best 37 shots and James van Riemsdyk had a goal and an assist as the Flyers snapped their losing skid with a 2-1 win over the Stars on Thursday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
After a scoreless first period, Travis Konecny opened the scoring off a great behind the back pass from van Riemsdyk, who followed that up with a tip-in of his own to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Jamie Benn gave the Stars life late in the third period, finally solving Hart with three minutes left, but the Flyers shut the door from there on out. Stars netminder Anton Khudobin made several key saves and stopped a few odd-man rushes to keep Dallas in it, but ultimately took the loss with 20 saves.
Stars of the Game:
1 - Carter Hart (37 saves)
2 - James van Riemsdyk (1g-1a)
3 - Travis Konecny (1g)
Tonight's turning point was the sequence of Carter Hart saves in the second period, one on a wrap around attempt by defenseman Julius Honka and a rebound out in front from Roope Hintz while the team was up 1-0, combined with a bounce the Flyers needed off of good positioning by James van Riemsdyk to take a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes of play.Video: DAL@PHI: Hart makes two great saves on Honka, Hintz
1) The Flyers didn't generate a lot of shots on goal in the second period in terms of quantity, but the quality was good, and Philly built a 2-0 lead. A simple play paid a big dividend for the Flyers as they made it 1-0: it started with a simple shot to the net by Gudas. JVR then made a nice pass to Travis Konecny off the loose puck, Konecny beat Miro Heiskanen off the wall to the net to take the pass, and tipped the feed upstairs.Video: DAL@PHI: Konecny, van Riemsdyk team up for goal
2) Hart made an outstanding save -- cleanly, with no rebound -- off Klingberg to keep Philly ahead 2-0. He also stepped as play continued as the Tyler Seguin line buzzed in the Flyers zone... In the first period, Tyler Pitlick had a pair of good opportunities, one saved by Carter Hart and another blocked out of play by Christian Folin... In the final seconds, Hart came up big one more time with the Stars pressing 6-on-5 to nail down a 2-1 win.
3) Hart sandwiched a good PK save on Lindell through a Jamie Benn screen around a pair of Khudobin saves on Couturier off Giroux feeds on shorthanded 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 opportunities in the third period. After the penalty expired, the Flyers had a 2-on-0 break with JVR feeding Konecny but, again, Khudobin made the save.
4) At 17:09 of the third period, Benn found open ice in the worst possible place for Flyers: the low/middle slot. The Stars captain scored to make it 2-1 with 2:51 left. Hart got a piece of it, but not enough. Assists went to Seguin and Klingberg.
5) In addition to starting the first Flyers goal sequence, Gudas made several good plays on the penalty kill and boxed out well. He was also credited with five hits -- the most on either team -- through two periods.
JUST THE STATS
* Carter Hart earned his third win, all coming at home, and stopped 37 shots, the most he's faced in a game so far.
* James van Riemsdyk posted his sixth multi-point game of the year - he has 16 points (7g-9a) in 28 games.
* Ivan Provorov led all skaters with 27:23 of ice time... Radko Gudas had an assist, co-led the team with four shots on goal, and led the team with six hits... Christian Folin led the Flyers with seven blocked shots.
* The Flyers were 47.5 percent (28-for-59) on faceoffs. It marked just the ninth time this season the Flyers were below 50 percent on faceoffs. They are 5-2-2 in those nine games.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Hart & JVR following win over Dallas
Video: Hear from Gordon following win over Dallas