HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Philadelphia Flyers' six-game road trip concluded on Tuesday with a 5-4 overtime loss against the Carolina Hurricanes at PNC Arena.
The game was a seesaw affair that saw the Flyers lead 2-0 but later trail 4-2. Travis Konecny and Michael Raffl goals built an early 2-0 lead for the Flyers but Lucas Wallmark and Warren Foegele got the goals back while Jake Gardiner gave the Canes' a 3-2 lead early in the second period and Joel Edmundson quickly made it four unanswered goals by Carolina.
Nicolas Aube-Kubel got the deficit back to 4-3 and Travis Sanheim scored a pretty goal to tie the game at 4-4 in the third period and force OT. In OT, Dougie Hamilton used a stickless Sanheim as a screen on the game winning goal.
The Flyers goaltending was uneven in this game, and the Canes' was downright shaky. Brian Elliott stopped 28 of 33 in a losing cause. James Reimer made only 17 saves on 21 shots.
1st: Dougie Hamilton (GWG-1a)
2nd: Jake Gardiner (1g-1a)
3rd: Warren Foegele (1g-1a)
In overtime, Jakub Voracek hit the crossbar ad at the other end of the ice, Travis Sanheim lost his stick. Ultimately, Dougie Hamilton used to Sanheim as a screen, shooting between his legs from the right circle and beating Brian Elliott to end the game.
* From a very severe angle, and with Reimer way back in his net, Konecny provided his team a much-needed lift with a goal at the 37-second mark of the first period. Shortly thereafter, Michael Raffl turned over a puck at the attack blueline, and the deadline Andrei Svechnikov had a breakaway. He tried a between-the-legs shot but Elliott was alert to it and stoned the shooter.
* In the first 6:30 of the first period, the Flyers gave up a breakaway, a 2-on-1 (which went offside) and a 4-on-2. After a near slam-dunk for James van Riemsdyk, Jakub Voracek and Michael Raffl made the Canes pay for a giveaway on their next shift. Wallmark then got the goal back on the rebound of a squibber. Both teams continued to turn pucks over and get caught as defensive spectators. Video: PHI@CAR: Raffl moves around Reimer, pots tally
* Even apart from scoring two goals in the second period, the Hurricanes played a much better period than they did in the first and the Flyers failed to match for the first half of the frame.
* A Hurricanes turnover was converted in an Aube-Kubel goal on a simple shot for the right circle that found the net under Reimer's arm to the short side at 14:27. Elliott then made a great skate save at the right post on Aho.
* The Canes caught a huge break on the PK in the third period due to a hasty whistle on a shot that Reimer never controlled. The puck was sitting on the goal line as the whistle blew. Voracek put it in the net, but after the whistle blew. However, there was no stopping Sanheim on his game-tying wraparound goal. Couturier set a nice -- and legal -- pick behind the net by standing his ground.
* The Flyers finished off their road trip with a 1-4-1 record, earning all three points in overtime.
* Claude Giroux recorded an assist on the first Flyers goal, which gives him seven points (3g-4a) in the three-game season series.Video: PHI@CAR: Konecny beats Reimer from the circle
* Travis Konecny scored the first Flyers goal, giving him five points in the three-game season series (2g-3a).
* Shayne Gostisbehere and Robert Hagg were both a +3 in the game.. Matt Niskanen led the Flyers with six hits... Ivan Provorov led the team in ice time with 24:51.
* The Flyers are right back in action when they finally return the Wells Fargo Center to take on the NHL-leading Washington Capitals in a nationally televised broadcast (7:30 p.m. on NBCSN and 97.5 The Fanatic).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following loss to CARVideo: Hear from Sanheim, Niskanen and Voracek after loss