1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers stormed out of the gates with three goals first ten minutes and thirty seconds, while Steve Mason stopped all 33 shots he faced to lead Philadelphia to a 4-0 win over the visiting Colorado Avalanche.
Wayne Simmonds got the Flyers started with a shorthanded goal, followed that up with a power-play goal and seemingly completed the hat trick on the very next power play, but replays showed he never touched the puck and the goal was credited to Voracek… Mason stopped all 11 shots to give the Flyers a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Jordan Weal added to the Flyers lead by scoring his first NHL goal on a deflection off a Radko Gudas shot from the side boards, while Steve Mason stopped Mikko Rantanen on a penalty shot and Jarome Iginla, who had a partial breakaway midway through the second frame.Video: COL@PHI: Weal notches his first career goal
Mason shut the door the rest of the way, stopping all 10 shots he faced, while on the other end, Avs goaltender Jeremy Smith took the loss in just his fourth NHL game, allowing four goals on 26 shots.
2. TURNING POINT
Several good scoring chances from the Avalanche in the first period were denied by Mason, including an early power play. That, combined with the Flyers jumping on and capitalizing on their scoring chances allowed the Flyers to gain a big advantage in the first period and play confident hockey and play with the lead the rest of the way.Video: COL@PHI: Mason forces Rantanen's penalty shot wide
3. THREE STARS
1 - Wayne Simmonds: Recorded a pair of special team goals, one shorthanded and one power play, and was a +2 in the game.
2 - Steve Mason: Stopped all 33 shots he faced in his first start since Feb. 9, notching his 32nd NHL shutout and 13th as a Flyer.
3 - Claude Giroux: Posted his seventh multi-point game with two assists.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers went 2-for-3 on the power play, marking the second straight game they've scored on the man advantage and fourth time on the last five games, going 6-for-15 in that span.
* Jordan Weal recorded his first NHL goal, his 19th game in the NHL... Nick Cousins played in his 100th NHL game... * Steve Mason appeared in his 216th game as a Flyer, putting him into sole possession of third place on the Flyers all time list.
* Wayne Simmonds recorded a pair of goals for fourth multi-goal game of the year… It was also his 26th & 27th goal of the season in his 62nd game… Last year, he didn't post his 27th goal until Apr. 2, in his 76th game of the year.Video: COL@PHI: Simmonds tips home a PPG for his second goal
* Jakub Voracek scored for the second straight game and third time in his last four contests… He now has points in six of his last eight games, recording six points (3g-3a) in that stretch.
* Shayne Gostisbehere recorded an assist in tonight's game, giving him points in two straight and five points (1g-4a) in his last four contests.
* The Flyers scored three goals in the first period for the first time this season and first since Feb. 27, 2016 in a 4-2 win over Arizona.
5. THEY SAID IT
"20 games left. I'm not sure how many points out of it we are after tonight but it's better to get two points then none so it's definitely a good step. The biggest thing for us is not to get too hot on one win, a lot of work to be done."
- Steve MasonVideo: Mason on win vs. COL
"It's nice to see him get his first tonight. He's one guy who works as hard at his game as anybody does and he loves being on the ice and working at it. He's not the biggest body out there, but he's a puck possession guy, he's able to win pucks, hold pucks and then make plays and he's done that over the few games that he has been with us."
- Dave HakstolVideo: Hakstol Postgame Press Conference