HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
A single bounce of the puck determined the outcome as the Philadelphia Flyers fell, 1-0, Tampa Bay Lightning at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday evening.
Pat Maroon scored the game's only goal on a bouncing puck that ended up at his feet in prime scoring range.
Carter Hart stopped 27 of 28 shots for Philly. Andrei Vasilevskiy earned a 23-save shutout.
1st: Andrei Vasilevskiy (23-save shutout)
2nd: Carter Hart (27 of 28 saves)
3rd: Patrick Maroon (game-winning goal)
As Maroon exited the penalty box with game still scoreless, Anthony Cirelli flipped the puck high into the Flyers zone. Both Maroon and Matt Niskanen swatted at the bouncing puck and Niskanen wound up putting it directly to Niskanen at point blank range.
* The Flyers got off to a, well, lightning fast start with a spectacular opening shift by Sean Couturier that set a positive tone for his team. Philly outworked the Lightning for the majority of the first period. Video: TBL@PHI: Hart turns away Sergachev and Kucherov
* The Flyers really made it tough for the Lightning to generate chances. Philly then had to kill six minutes worth of penalties -- including a Travis Konecny high-sticking double-minor -- and did it extremely well against a PK than entered the game clicking at a fearsome 29 percent for the season.
* Ex-Flyer Braydon Coburn, not normally the pugnacious type, had a burr under his saddles in the first period. In particular, he had "meetings" with Robert Hägg and Konecny where the parties were none-too-happy with one another.
* Tampa came out with more focus and energy in the second period than they did in the first. The Flyers spent much of the period hemmed in their own end. Hart was tested multiple times as he was peppered with 13 shots. The only goal of the frame was not on the goalie. Philly mustered only six shots on goal in the period; none dangerous.
* There wasn't much time or space for either team to operate in the third period. Kevin Shattenkirk's accidental high stick on Konecny chipped the Flyer's tooth. Apparently, a dribble of blood is worth more on the penalty severity scale than a broken tooth, as Shattenkirk got a two-minute penalty.
* The Flyers dropped their first game in regulation to an Eastern Conference opponent this season... It was also the first time they have been shut out this season and first since Mar. 31 of last year (3-0 vs. NYR).
* Phil Myers led the team with five shots on goal and five hits... Ivan Provorov led in ice time (26:04).
* Ivan Provorov and Matt Niskanen led the team with four blocked shots each.
* Oskar Lindblom was in attendance at the game and received a roaring ovation from the crowd.Video: TBL@PHI: Lindblom gets standing ovation
* The Flyers will face off against the Boston Bruins on Monday night. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m. on NBCSP and 97.5 The Fanatic.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following loss to TBLVideo: Hear from Couturier, Hayes and Hart following loss