HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Michael Raffl scored what would turn out to be the game-winner 9:48 into the third period and the Flyers held on for the victory in the NHL Global Series at O2 Arena in Prague. The Flyers got on the board first when Travis Konecny put one home 6:24 into the contest, only to see the Blackhawks answer 1:20 later on a goal by Alexander Nylander.
Oskar Lindblom put the Flyers back on top with a power play goal 6:28 into the second period, and Konecny made it a two-goal advantage with 1:56 left in the frame. Alex DeBrincat got one of the goals back with 12 seconds left in the period, but Raffl restored the two-goal lead near the halfway point of the third.
Patrick Kane made things interesting when he scored with 2:07 left, but that closed out the scoring. Carter Hart picked up the win with 28 saves on 31 shots, while Corey Crawford stopped 34 of 38 in the loss.
Stars of the Game:
1 - Travis Konecny (2g)
2 - Patrick Kane (1g-2a)
3 - Michael Raffl (1g)
The turning point in this one was the second goal from Konecny... Chicago forward David Kampf took a beautiful pass from Jonathan Toews, who created a shorthanded 2 on 1 with just over two minutes left in the second period, but was stopped by Hart... Shortly after, Konecny flew up ice and pulled off a beauty of a move on Duncan Keith and then beat Corey Crawford... It wasn't the winner, but it shifted momentum the Flyers would never relinquish even though Chicago continued to climb back.Video: CHI@PHI: Konecny nets second goal with backhander
* Among Carter Hart's 28 saves were a flurry of opportunities in the second period, including a point-blank chance from David Kampf and a second attempt on a rebound... He also stopped hometown favorite, Dominik Kubalik, late in the first period.
* Matt Niskanen quietly had a strong showing playing alongside Travis Sanheim, who led the Flyers with a +2 rating... Of note, Niskanen played a 2-on-1 with Patrick Kane and Alex DeBrincat perfectly, sliding across at the right time to deny Kane a shot or pass.
* Tyler Pitlick made his first game as a Flyer a memorable one, picking up the primary assist on Michael Raffl's goal and posting a +1 rating.
* Konecny could have easily had a hat trick. He missed a golden opportunity in the second period when a puck pinballed in the crease to him - as he shot it, Corey Crawford got enough of his pad on the follow-through to steer the puck wide.
* It was also Kevin Hayes' first game as a Flyer... He had multiple chances which include a full breakaway, a deflection in front on the power-play, and another partial break in which he was taken down, but no penalty was called on the play. All in all, he logged 18:33 of ice time and had three hits.
JUST THE STATS
* The Flyers won their season opener for the fourth year in a row and are now 4-0-1 in their last five openers.
* The Flyers had 38 shots on goal and 67 total shot attempts to Chicago's 31 shots on goal and 49 attempts.
* Travis Konecny recorded his seventh career two-goal game... Oskar Lindblom scored and led the Flyers with five shots on goal... Tyler Pitlick recorded an assist in his first game as a Flyer.Video: CHI@PHI: Raffl goes five-hole to beat Crawford
* Eleven different Flyers logged over 16 minutes of ice time and were led by Ivan Provorov, who had 23:55.
* Connor Bunnaman and Carsen Twarynski both made their NHL debuts. Bunnaman had two shots on goal and a hit in 11:06 and Twarynski had a shot, two total attempts and two hits in 11:57.
* The Flyers were 62.1 percent on faceoffs as a team. Sean Couturier was 12-for-16 (75 pct) while Claude Giroux was 10-for-16 (62.5 pct).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Carter Hart following win over CHIVideo: Hear from Voracek, Giroux and Vigneault following win