1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Travis Konecny scored a pair of goals and the Flyers fought back from an early 0-2 deficit, but Brandon Dubinsky's third period power-play goal broke a 3-3 tie to give Columbus a 5-3 win at the Wells Fargo Center on Monday night.
The Blue Jackets came storming out of the gates, getting out to a quick 2-0 lead after goals from Sam Gagner and Cam Atkinson exactly one minute apart… The Flyers got back one back after skating 6 on 5 due to a delayed penalty call on the ice. Travis Konecny took a pass from Shayne Gostisbehere at the blueline and fired a laser under the arm of Sergei Bobrovsky to end the first period.
The Flyers continued to press, scoring the equalizer on a power-play goal from Brayden Schenn, then Konency scored his second of the game just after a four-minute power play expired to give the Flyers a 3-2 lead. Columbus fought back, scoring right off the face off from a blast by rookie defenseman Zach Werenski through a screen in front, knotting the score up at 3-3 after 40 minutes.
After Dubinsky's goal, Atkinson scored his second of the game on an empty-netter to seal the win for Columbus, who went 1-for-2 on the power play, while the Flyers went 1-for-8 on the man advantage.
2. TURNING POINT
Dubinsky's power-play goal near the midway point of the third period returned the lead to Columbus, who hung on the rest of the way for the win. The play unfolded near the end of Jackets' second and final power play. Puck movement from the right side eventually found its way to Brandon Saad, who threaded a pass across the ice and found an open Dubinsky, who fired it high-glove on Mason.Video: Analysis and locker room comments following 5-3 loss
3. THREE STARS
1 - Zach Werenski: Recorded the game-tying goal to make it 3-3 with 5:30 left in the second period and added an assist, while recording a +3 rating.
2 - Travis Konecny: Recorded his first career multi-goal game with a pair of goals… He now has four points in his last four games (2g-2a).Video: CBJ@PHI: Konecny cranks a wrister past Bobrovsky
3 - Brandon Dubinsky: Scored the game-winning goal, his fifth of the season, giving him points in four of his last five games for Columbus.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* Shayne Gostisbehere led the Flyers with nearly 25 minutes of ice time, logging 24:52, as well as shots on goal (5).
* Brayden Schenn has a four-game point streak on home ice, recording four points (2g-2a).Video: CBJ@PHI: Schenn finishes Giroux's feed for PPG
* Schenn scored his 14th goal on the power play this season, which ties him for the NHL lead, alongside teammate Wayne Simmonds and Tampa Bay's Nikita Kucherov.
* Schenn's goal was also his 20th of the year, marking the second straight year he has 20 goals and third in the last four seasons.
* Giroux recorded an assist in the game, giving him points in four straight (1g-3a) as well as points in six of his last eight games (1g-6a).
* Giroux also recorded his 27th point on the power play, which ties him for the NHL lead.
5. THEY SAID IT
"Yeah that's kind of the only thing on my mind right now, I kind of let the game get to me and I was in the mix a lot tonight and for whatever reason I decided to bump the guy on my way back to the bench and they thought it was a penalty. It's a stupid penalty by me and honestly I put the game in my hands there, it's unacceptable."
- Travis KonecnyVideo: Postgame PHI vs CBJ: Travis Konecny
"We're playing for our season right now and we're in every game and just can't find a way to get the points and we're playing some good hockey, but at the end it's not good enough."
- Claude Giroux