HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Thanks to strong goaltending and some clutch plays around the net, the Philadelphia Flyers held off a strong Carolina Hurricanes team by a 4-1 score at the Wells Fargo Center on Tuesday night.
Sean Couturier kicked things off with a deflection, but Lucas Wallmark scored to tie things back up in the second period. Travis Konecny broke a 1-1 tie early in the third, while Joel Farabee and Claude Giroux added insurance goals.
Carter Hart led the way, making 32 saves on 33 shots. His toughest period was the first, where he was severely tested in making 14 stops. Petr Mrazek took the loss for Carolina. The former Flyers' goalie stopped 24 of 28 shots.
1st: Travis Konecny (1g, GWG)
2nd: Joel Farabee (1g-5 shots)
3rd: Carter Hart (32 saves)
Mrazek gave up a few generous rebounds in the first two periods, but none that the Flyers were able to pounce on. Finally, at 1:12 of the third period, the rebound of Niskanen's shot went right to Konecny at the doorstep for a slam-dunk and a 2-1 Flyers lead.Video: CAR@PHI: Konecny buries loose puck early in 3rd
* The Hurricanes had five quick shots off the hop to start the game -- two-shot and three-shot sequences, with a couple of scoring chances in close -- but Hart stepped up and made the saves... Philadelphia played with fire a little too often for comfort in the first period. Their bugaboo was failed opportunities to exit -- or at least clear the puck from -- the defensive zone. Too often, it resulted in the Flyers getting hemmed in their own end and forced to defend.
* Carter Hart was the Flyers' best player in the first period, stopping 14 shots including multiple tough ones. First period shot attempts were 24 (14-4-6) to 16 (10-5-1) in Carolina's favor. The Flyers were tagged for 9 giveaways to just one for the Canes.
* Both goalies stepped up early in the second period. Mrazek stopped Kevin Hayes, who elected to shoot on a 2-on-1. Mrazek later made a great save on Travis Konecny after a brilliant pass from Giroux (who was sliding along the ice) sent Travis Konecny in alone on the Canes' goalie. In between, Hart denied the dangerous Sebastian Aho on a shorthanded semi-breakaway.
* Phil Myers' skating is a treat to watch in how quickly he closes on his checks, how fast he accelerates and how much turf he covers.
* The Giroux line started a shift with an offensive zone faceoff but ended up having to defend after a Canes breakout and entry. When play swung back on a Flyers attack, Farabee took the puck to the house and followed his own rebound for his 2nd NHL goal.
* The Flyers have earned points in six of their last eight games (5-2-1) and now have 16 points in 14 games, the most since the 2014-15 season.
* The Flyers first goal came on the power play - they have now scored on the power play in four straight on home ice (7-for-18, 38.8%) and six of seven home games.
* Sean Couturier extended his point AND assist streak to four straight games... He has six points (2g-4a) in that span.
* On defense, Matt Niskanen recorded his first two-point game with the Flyers with a pair of assists... Philippe Myers recorded his first point with an assist on Giroux's goal.
* Joel Farabee scored his second NHL goal, he also fired 5 shots on net, a new career high.Video: CAR@PHI: Farabee puts home his own rebound
* James van Riemsdyk posted an assist playing against his brother, Carolina defenseman, Trevor van Riemsdyk... JVR has 10 points (4g-6a) in 10 meetings against his brother.
* The Flyers play the finale of their three-game homestand when the Montreal Canadiens visit on Thursday. Puck drop is at 7 p.m. (NBCSP & 93.3 WMMR).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Braun, Farabee and Hart following winVideo: Hear from Flyers coach following win over CAR