1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Travis Konecny tied it with 43 seconds left in regulation, then Sean Couturierrushed up the ice and Brayden Schenn putt the finishing touch on the rebound to give the Flyers a much needed two points and 4-3 overtime victory against the Hurricanes on Sunday night.
The Flyers outshot the Hurricanes 15 to 4 in the opening frame and finally got on the board in the final minute as Ivan Provorov blasted a shot over the shoulder of Cam Ward to take a 1-0 lead into the lockeroom.
The second period saw the Flyers extend their lead, but the Hurricanes battled back to tie it, 2-2, heading into the third period, where Jordan Staal capitalized on a power play to give the Canes their third straight goal and take the lead.
After Konecny's goal sent the game to overtime, the Flyers took advantage off an end-to-end rush by Couturier, who went around Teuvo Teravainen but was stopped by Ward. Trailing just behind, Schenn stormed in and cleaned up the rebound to give the Flyers their seventh victory in overtime this season.
2. TURNING POINT
Tonight's turning point came in the final minute of regulation play when the Flyers pulled their goaltender in favor of the extra attacker. A battle in the Hurricanes corner led to the puck finding its way to Provorov who fired a shot on net from the point that went wide. Konecny was camped out at the side of the net and chipped a backhand shot towards the crease and the puck bounced off the Cane defenseman and into the net for the equalizer.Video: CAR@PHI: Konecny banks bad-angle shot into the net
3. THREE STARS
1 - Brayden Schenn: Scored his team-leading sixth game-winning goal and second overtime winner while posting a +2 rating.
2 - Ivan Provorov: Recorded his first three-point game of his career with a goal and two assists.
3 - Dale Weise: Scored in his second straight home game… He now has two goals and three points in his last three games.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* With the win, the Flyers have now won four of their last five home games and own an overall mark of 21-11-4 at the Wells Fargo Center.
* The Flyers improved their mark to 3-1-0 against the Hurricanes in the season series and now own a record of 15-3-3 in the last 21 games against Carolina at the Wells Fargo Center.
* The Flyers had 16 of their 18 skaters record at least one shot on goal in the game.
* Brayden Schenn extended his home point streak to six straight games… He now has three goals and four assists for seven points in that stretch.
* Sean Couturier recorded his first career three-assist game.
* Rookie defenseman Ivan Provorov led all players with 24:14 of ice time in the game… It was his third consecutive game of logging over 24 minutes of TOI.Video: CAR@PHI: Provorov beats Ward with wicked wrister
* Claude Giroux had his six-game point streak (2g-4a) snapped in the loss.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I think during the season we came back from behind a bunch of times so we knew to stick with it, play our game, and try to get the puck to the net. That's what we did and that's why tied the game and then won in OT."
- Ivan ProvorovVideo: Provorov Postgame InterviewVideo: Coach Postgame Press Conference