HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers rebounded from an early 2-0 deficit with four points from Claude Giroux and the second career goal for Morgan Frost en route to a 5-3 win over the Hurricanes in Carolina on Thursday night.
Carolina led by a pair less than five minutes into the game after Sebastian Aho tallied at the 3:23 mark and Teuvo Teravainen added one 1:20 later. Giroux got the Flyers on the board less than two minutes after that and Ivan Provorov tied it up on the power play with 6:46 left in the opening period.
Frost's goal was shorthanded and was the only scoring of the second frame. After Lucas Wallmark re-tied it early in the third, Frost returned the earlier favor with a pretty setup for Giroux's second of the game. Kevin Hayes wrapped things up with a late empty-netter.
Brian Elliott stopped 33 shots, including all 19 he faced in the second period, to earn the win; Petr Mrazek absorbed 18 shots in the loss.
1st: Claude Giroux (2g-2a)
2nd: Morgan Frost (1g-1a)
3rd: Teuvo Teravainen (1g-1a)
The captain's second goal of the game, set up by a nifty pass from Morgan Frost, gave the Flyers back the lead they surrendered earlier in the third period... That goal also showed that the Flyers kept their foot on the gas, not giving the Canes a good look at a goal to tie it and force overtime as Kevin Hayes empty netter would eventually seal it.Video: PHI@CAR: Giroux taps shot home for second goal
* The Sean Couturier line came roaring out of the gates with a huge wave of pressure on their first shift, including a prime scoring chance for Jakub Voracek. However, it was two quick strikes by the Hurricanes -- first by Sebastian Aho and a Teuvo Teräväinen power play tally.
* To their credit, the Flyers battled back from the adversity -- compounded by Jakub Voracek getting called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty over the placement of a faceoff, short-circuiting Philly's first power play -- with a 4-on-4 goal on a phenomenal reverse pass by Travis Konecny to Claude Giroux, who scored quickly to the short side. On Philly's second power play, Ivan Provorov threaded a shot through a layered screen and into the net for a 2-2 tie.
* Active sticks in the lanes and keeping feet moving were the keys to the turnaround. An example: Morgan Frost was the first to a loose puck in a Carolina zone, drawing the penalty that resulted in the Provorov goal.
* The Flyers otherwise spent too much of the second period in their own zone (19-4 shot on goal disadvantage), and a few too many rebounds rattled around as Elliott continued to fight the puck a bit. However, Philly bent but didn't break. Most of the play was contained to the perimeter. Elliott came up with saves, and rebounds were cleared.
* The Flyers retook the lead at 4-3 as the same line struck again offensively; Frost nicely setting up Giroux for a tap-in goal at 11:16. Thereafter, it was the Brian Elliott Show as the Philly netminder came up with three separate 10-bell pad saves to protect the lead. A long-distance empty-netter by Hayes at 19:54 sealed the win.Video: PHI@CAR: Elliott kicks out pad to rob Niederreiter
* The Flyers won their second straight game over the Hurricanes to take a 2-0 series lead... The Flyers also snapped an overall four-game winless skid.
* Claude Giroux posted four points (2g-2a) and recorded his 11th four-point game in the process... He also has six points (3g-3a) in two games against Carolina this season.
* Morgan Frost scored his second career NHL goal in his second game becoming the first Flyer since David Laliberte in 2009 (Oct. 31-Nov. 2) to score in his first two NHL games and sixth Flyer overall.
* Ivan Provorov led all players in the game, for the second straight game, in ice time with 26:27 despite the Flyers playing seven defensemen.
* Travis Konecny extended his team in scoring lead with three assists - he has 23 points (8g-15a) in 21 games.
* The Flyers return home to take on the Calgary Flames for their first matinee game of the season on Saturday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center (1 p.m. on NBCSP & 97.5 The Fanatic).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Giroux, Frost and Elliott following winVideo: Hear from Flyers coach following win over CAR