Flyers Victory Over Boston to Clinch First Stanley Cup Named Greatest Game
/ Philadelphia Flyers
The polls have closed, the votes have been tallied…Flyers fans have voted unanimously, naming the Flyers' May 19, 1974, 1-0 defeat of Boston in Game Six of the Stanley Cup Finals to win the franchise's first championship as the greatest game in the organization's 40-year history. With this win, the Flyers became the first expansion team in National Hockey League history to win the Stanley Cup.
Over 5,100 Flyers fans logged on to www.philadelphiaflyers.com from August 3 through August 13 to vote on the 10 greatest games in Flyers history among 25 games posted.
"We thank our fans for their votes and interest in naming the 10 greatest games in Flyers history," said Flyers Vice President of Marketing and Communications Shawn Tilger. "It's obvious these games and memories have stayed with our fans over the years."
Based on the fans' votes, the 10 greatest games in the Flyers' history rank as follows (percentages are of the total vote):
1. May 19, 1974 – Flyers defeat Boston, 1-0, to win Stanley Cup (85.4%)
2. May 4, 2000 – Keith Primeau scores a goal in the 5th overtime period at Pittsburgh (79.6%)
3. May 27, 1975 – Flyers defeat Buffalo, 2-0, to win second Stanley Cup (71.6%)
4. January 11, 1976 – Flyers defeat Soviet Red Army Team, 4-1 (71.3%)
5. May 20, 2004 – Keith Primeau and Simon Gagne each score a goal as the Flyers defeat Tampa Bay in Game Six (52.7%)
6. May 4, 2004 – Jeremy Roenick scores a goal in overtime at Toronto to win game, 3-2, and series 4-2 (50.9%)
7. December 22, 1979 – Flyers win at Boston to set NHL record for longest undefeated streak (29 games) (43.3%)
8. May 28, 1987 – J.J. Daigneault scores the game-winning goal vs. Edmonton in Game Six of Stanley Cup Finals (40.9%)
9. May 9, 1974 – Bobby Clarke scores in overtime at Boston (37.9%)
10. April 13, 1985 – Tim Kerr scores four goals in second period of playoff game at NY Rangers (29.5%)
These 10 games will be included in a "greatest games" DVD boxed set produced by NHL Productions and distributed by Warner Home Video. This collectible boxed set is slated for public sale at the beginning of the 2006-07 season.