The Flyers dropped a 3-2 decision in overtime to the NY Islanders in their opening preseason game on Sunday afternoon.
Islanders captain John Tavares scored twice including the game winning goal in OT, while Mike Vecchione and Jori Lehtera scored for the Flyers in the loss.
Below are some news & notes from the game:
* Alex Lyon played the first 40 minutes and stopped 19 of 20 shots through the first two periods.
* After a scoreless first period that was a battle of special teams, the Flyers "Union Connection" opened the scoring with Mike Vecchione deflecting a shot from the point by Shayne Gostisbehere. Video: Hagg, Vecchione & Hakstol postgame
* Appearing in his first game of any kind as a Flyer, Jori Lehtera showed great hustle to beat Isles' netminder Kristers Gudlevskis in a sprint to the puck and easily taps it in for a shorthanded goal to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead.
* Oskar Lindblom led the Flyers through the first two periods with five shots on goal… Lindblom also played on the first power play unit alongside Nolan Patrick and Matt Read.
* The Isles roster included All-Stars John Tavares and the newly acquired Jordan Eberle, while also seeing high draft picks such as Mathew Barzal and Michael Dal Colle and a veteran D-tandem of Nick Leddy and Dennis Seidenberg.
* Mathew Barzal scored the other goal for the Islanders.
* The two teams will go at it again (twice) on Wednesday as the club's will split their squads and play at the PPL Center, home of Flyers' AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, and another tilt at the Islanders home arena, Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
* The Flyers resume training camp on Monday morning with two groups skating at the Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ.