The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have signed goaltender Samuel Ersson, the club's fifth-round pick (143rd overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, to a three-year entry-level contract, according to President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.
"We're excited to get Samuel under contract with the Flyers," said Brent Flahr, the Flyers Vice President and Assistant General Manager. "He's steadily progressed since his draft year and has had success in junior, the SHL and at the International level. We look forward to watching his continued development as he makes the transition to North America."
Below are news & notes on Ersson:
PREVIOUS TEAM: Brynas (SHL - Swedish Hockey League)
DRAFTED: 2018 (5th Round, 143rd Overall) by FLYERS
AGE: 21 (10-20-1999)
BORN: Falun, Sweden
VITALS: 6'2", 176 pounds
* Ersson recently completed his second full season in Sweden's top pro league (SHL) with Brynas.
* He posted a 15-25-2 record with a 2.96 goals-against average and .911 save percentage, along with three shutouts, and appeared 42 of the club's 52 regular season games this past season.
* In addition, he recorded a 4-1 mark in relegation play after the regular season, where he had a 1.30 GAA and .949 save percentage in the five-game series.
* Prior to joining Brynas full time, he spent the 2018-19 season in Sweden's Allsvenskan league with Vasteras IK where he recorded a 27-9-0 mark with a 1.95 GAA and .933 save percentage.
* Ersson also was a member of Sweden's IIHF World Championship team this year and has represented his country on several occasions in his career.
* He was the starting goalie in the 2018 World Junior Championships for Sweden where he posted a 3-0-0 record in the round robin to help Sweden go a perfect 4-0-0 and ended the tournament with a 3-1-0 mark, 2.23 GAA and .922 save percentage.
* Ersson has attended the Flyers summer development camp in both years following his draft.
* He is the third member of the Flyers 2018 Draft Class to be signed by the team (Joel Farabee, Wyatte Wylie).