Game Summary: Wayne Simmonds scored twice, Dale Weise and Andy Miele scored and Travis Sanheim had two assists as the Flyers picked up their first win of the preseason.Weise and Simmonds combined to pot two goals within 1:16 of one another, with Weise tallying unassisted at 17:39 of the first period and Simmonds scoring at the 18:55 mark.
Miele went to the net in traffic to score 11:22 into the second, and Simmonds finished things off just 15 seconds into the third. Steve Mason went the distance, stopping 23 shots for the shutout.
* Steve Mason made his first start of the preseason and stopped all 23 shots he faced.
Mason made several key saves in the win including a partial breakaway off of Shane Prince and an amazing snag with his glove at the 7:30 mark of the second period on Anthony Beauvillier.
* Wayne Simmonds posted two goals on the night, recorded three shots on goal and had four hits. He was named the game's First Star.
* Dale Weise played his first game in a Flyer uniform and scored the first Flyers goal of the night, an unassisted tally.
* Travis Sanheim recorded two assists on the night, and three shots and five shots attempts that were blocked.
"I think last year was definitely a learning trip for me and I didn't have the camp that I wanted to," said Sanheim. "I came in this year a little more motivated and excited to get things going and hopefully starting my pro career this year. I think I had a good camp so far and hopefully I can build off of it."
* Defenseman Philippe Myers led the team and finished the game with over 22 minutes of time on ice at 22:25. He also posted a +2 rating and recorded three hits.
"He just continues to handle different situations well," said head coach Dave Hakstol. "He's got a real even keel demeanor. He takes that presence and that poise out on the bench with him. He's done a great job and he continues to earn everything day by day and that's what we've asked the guys to do coming into camp so he's done that."
* Jordan Weal went 7-for-10 on face-offs, going 70 percent on the night. He had one assist and three shots on goal.
* The Flyers held a 4-0 leave and killed off a full two minute 5-on-3 by the Islanders in the final five minutes of the game.
* Ivan Provorov logged 21:43 of ice time after recording 28:48 on Monday in New Jersey to combine for 50:31 of ice time and an average of 25:15 over two games on consecutive nights.
* The Flyers play for the third straight night when they travel to their home away from home in Allentown, site of their AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. A complete roster will be announced Wednesday afternoon.
Stars of the Game:
1 - Wayne Simmonds
2 - Steve Mason
3 - Travis Sanheim