The Philadelphia Flyers have selected German Rubtsov with the 22nd overall pick in the First Round of NHL Draft, announced general manager Ron Hextall.
Below are some news & notes on Rubtsov:
TEAM: Team U18, RUSSIA-JR.
BORN: June 27, 1998
HOMETOWN: Chekhov, Russia
VITALS: 6’2”, 178 pounds
* Played in 28 games in the Russian junior league where he recorded 12 goals and 14 assists for 26 points and a plus-minus rating of +12.
* He finished second in scoring on Russia’s Under-18 team – despite playing in 11 fewer games than the club’s leading point-getter – to help the team post the third-best record in Russia’s top junior league.
* Has represented Russia on numerous occasions on the national level.
* At the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial, Rubtsov notched two assists in the third period of the bronze medal game to help Russia overcome a multi-goal deficit to win 4-3 against Finland.
* In the championship game at the 2015 World Junior A Challenge, Rubtsov factored on Russia’s only goal in a 2-1 defeat to Canada West. In addition to earning a silver medal, Rubtsov was named to the tournament All-Star team after sharing third in scoring with seven points (2g-5a) in four games
The Flyers acquired the 22nd overall pick when they traded their 18th overall pick, as well as their third round pick at #79 in this year’s draft to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for the Jets’ 22nd overall pick and the Jets second round pick at #36 in this year’s draft.