The Flyers scored twice in the first period and rode that momentum to a 5-1 win over the Bruins. Travis Konecny opened the scoring with a power-play goal that came with 6:48 remaining in the period, and the Flyers added another when Jake Voracek put one home with just 10.3 seconds left before intermission.
In the second period the Flyers got goals from Brandon Manning 4:51 into the period and from Wayne Simmonds just under four minutes later; Simmonds's goal was a shorthanded tally set up by Samuel Morin. David Krejci spoiled the shutout bid for Alex Lyon with a goal 48 seconds into the third.
Sean Couturier later restored the four-goal advantage with a power play tally at the 4:06 mark. Alex Lyon stopped 31 of 32 Boston shots, while Tuukka Rask turned away 14 of 18 over two periods and Malcom Subban stopped 6 of 7.
Below are some news, notes & quotes from the locker room:
* The top line of Claude Giroux (2a), Jakub Voracek (1g-1a) and Sean Couturier (1g-1a) each had two points on the night, while Travis Konecny rounded out the multi-point night with a goal and an assist.
Giroux: "Yeah I think today was our best game, we found each other a little bit better and I mean if we just keep playing together and keep building on what we are doing and obviously we got some room for improvement but we did a lot of good things out there."
Voracek: "We are moving the puck better. Especially on turnovers we don't turn the puck over in the neutral zone. We go forward which is very important. I think we got better. I don't know what you guys see from up there but that is what I think."
* Konecny leads the Flyers in the preseason with six points (3g-3a) in six games.
* Three Flyers have now appeared in six out of a possible seven preseason games (Konecny, Sanheim and Patrick).
* Alex Lyon was recalled from the club's AHL affiliate the morning of the game. He started and stopped 31 of 32 shots in the victory.
Lyon: "I feel like I have taken a big step from last year to this year and I did it because I was just focusing on myself, not getting too far ahead, not thinking about the past and for me that is the most important thing."Video: Hear from Lyon after sudden call-up
* Brandon Manning scored his first goal of the preseason and led the Flyers with a +3 and logged 17:16 of ice time on the night.
Flyers Head Coach Dave Hakstol: "He did some of those little things that maybe nobody notices either that are important to a team, he played a good solid hockey game, absolutely."
* Manning's goal marks the sixth straight preseason game a Flyers defenseman has scored a goal.
* Nolan Patrick had an assist on the Flyers first goal and recorded his first NHL fight.Video: Hear from Patrick following solid performance
* The Flyers wrap up their preseason on Sunday when they take on the NY Islanders at 5 p.m. (TCN & 97.5 The Fanatic).