The Islanders responded to an early Flyers goal with four of their own and ended up with a 5-1 victory at the Wells Fargo Center in the preseason finale for both teams. Michael Raffl picked up the game's first goal on a 2-on-1 with Scott Laughton just 2:21 into the contest.
The Islanders answered with a goal from Dennis Seidenberg with 6:50 left in the first, and picked up second-period goals from Anders Lee on the power play at 2:22 and from Anthony Beauvillier 45 seconds later. Beauvillier tallied again 32 seconds into the third period on the power play to make it 4-1.
Wayne Simmonds scored a power play goal 6:32 into the third to pull the Flyers within a pair at 4-2 before Steve Bernier finished things off with an empty-netter in the final minute. The Flyers had 33 shots on goal in the contest and 80 total shot attempts; Thomas Greiss turned away 31 of the 33 shots that came to him. Brian Elliott turned away 17 of 21 in the loss.
Below are some news, notes & quotes to wrap up the game and Flyers preseason:
* Following the game, Flyers GM Ron Hextall announced that rookie forwards Nolan Patrick and Taylor Leier, as well as rookie defenseman Robert Hagg will be on the 2017-18 opening night roster. REACTION FROM THE PLAYERS HERE
* Rookie forward Oskar Lindblom has been assigned to the club's AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
* The Flyers finished off the preseason with a 3-2-3 record… Six of their eight games were decided by one goal with five of those contests going past regulation play.
"Yeah, I definitely think we are ready for the start of the season," said Wayne Simmonds. "I think, tonight wasn't the result we wanted, but I thought we had some good work here. Obviously, we did a lot of good work throughout all of preseason. We had a lot of different faces in and out of the lineup. I thought we did a good job."
* Defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere recorded an assist, giving him four points (1g-3a) in six preseason games… He left the game late in the third period with an upper-body injury.Video: NYI@PHI: Simmonds tips home PPG to trim deficit
* Only two players appeared in every possible preseason game for the Flyers with Nolan Patrick and Travis Konecny playing all seven games… Patrick was the only Flyer to appear in eight games in total counting the rookie game.
* Konecny led the Flyers in the preseason with six points (3g-3a) in seven games.
* Ivan Provorov led the Flyers in time-on-ice with 21:37 while also leading both teams with five shots on goal.Video: NYI@PHI: Raffl buries nice feed from Laughton
* Jakub Voracek recorded an assist in the loss… He ended his preseason with on a three-game point streak recording all four of his points (1g-3a) in the final three games.
"We have 4 lines that really can play," said Flyers captain Claude Giroux. "You look at Laughton's line. Tonight, they were probably one of the best lines and they can play against the top unit on the other side. They're playing some good hockey right now. It's exciting when you have 4 line that really can bring some offense and play the right way."
* The Flyers now open up the 2017-18 season with a nine-day, four-game road trip beginning in front of a national audience when they take on the San Jose Sharks (10:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN & 97.5 The Fanatic)