Game Summary: Jake DeBrusk scored in the third round of the shootout to lift the Bruins to a preseason win over the Flyers. Boston started the scoring 2:56 in on a goal by Danton Heinen, which the Flyers answered just under six minutes later when Sean Couturier knocked home a loose puck.
David Pastrnak regained the lead for the Bruins 4:22 into the second, but the Flyers responded with two goals just over two minutes apart - one from Jordan Weal at 6:39 and a power-play tally from Brayden Schenn at the 8:42 mark. Pastrnak scored his second of the game with 3:12 left to play in the second period, and the game went to a shootout after a scoreless third period and overtime. Weal scored for the Flyers in the first round, but they could get nothing else past Malcom Subban.
"There were ups and downs that I thought for our whole team," said Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol. "It was a tough team game to really evaluate. It was a pretty sloppy game, and I think everyone had their moments. Probably the two young guys included I put them in a few more situations or a few more minutes than Travis did. Overall, there were ups and downs throughout and some sloppy time periods throughout our game and throughout each individual's game.
* The Flyers are now 2-2-1 in the preseason thus far after tonight's shootout loss.
* Sean Couturier, Michal Neuvirth, Jakub Voracek and Shayne Gostisbehere all played their first game since returning from the World Cup of Hockey Tournament.
"I think tonight I felt pretty good, obviously a minus 2, but that's not to worry about in preseason," said Couturier. "I think we had some good chances with Voracek, we had some chemistry going and we seemed to find each other out there so we're going to build on that. At the same time I want to play, and to get going with the guys, I want to play obviously.
* Couturier posted a goal, while Gostisbehere and Voracek each recorded assists… Gostisbehere led all Flyers with over 26 minutes of ice time (26:08)
* Michal Neuvirth played the entire game, stopping 25 of 28 shots.
* Travis Sanheim recorded an assist tonight for the second straight preseason game… He now has three assists in three preseason games.
* Travis Konecny also recorded an assist on the night giving him three points (1g-2a) in his last two preseason games.
* Ivan Provorov recorded his first point of the preseason with the primary assist on Jordan Weal's breakaway goal… Provorov appeared in 23:23 of ice time.
Said Provorov of the stretch pass: "[Andrew MacDonald] had it behind the net, I called for it, he went D to D and their defense was changing. I saw [Weal] went stretching so I just passed to him, he went on the breakaway and he made a good move and scored."
* Brayden Schenn scored a goal giving him three points (1g-2a) in three preseason games.
* Jordan Weal scored his first goal of the preseason on a breakaway, and scored again in the shootout.
* The Flyers had six power-plays on the night, going 1-for-6 on the man advantage.
* The Flyers have three games remaining, including their final home game of the preseason on Monday, Oct. 3 vs. New York Rangers.