The Flyers have clinched the 2011 Atlantic Division Championship. With the Flyers win tonight over the Islanders and the Canadiens beating Toronto, the Flyers will face the Buffalo Sabres in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
After capturing their first Atlantic Division Title since 2004 hear what the players and coaches had to say:
QUOTES OF THE NIGHT
“I think they’re more ready than last year’s team. They’re a good team, good players, and I’m confident we’ll do well in the playoffs.” - Ed Snider
"We dug deep and got a win. It was a good win for us, and now the real season starts. I think it’s what we’ve been waiting for since last year, so we’ll get some rest, get some guys healthy again, and be ready to go.” - Brian Boucher
“Yeah. It’s good. It was a long season. It was a great regular season. The last few weeks weren’t that great but overall it was pretty good. Starting now, it is a new season and everybody is excited. Everybody is getting ready for the first game.” - Andrej Meszaros
"They gave us a good game there, obviously losing in overtime. They’re going to come in here with a lot of confidence and we are going to have to shut them down quick and be hard on them. They have young, skilled snipers with a lot of speed. A good counteract to that is hitting them, being physical, and knocking them off of the puck. That’s Flyers hockey so we match up well.” - Scott Hartnell on playing the Sabres.
"I don’t know if there’s a recipe. I can tell ya that I truly believe that when we wake up tomorrow there’ll be a little zip in our steps, cause were back in the playoffs and I can’t stress it enough. You play the 82 games for the sole purpose, for the right to compete for it. That’s it, and we’re in, it’s a good thing.” - Peter Laviolette
“It’s good. We have gone through a lot of ups and downs as a team. We had a great year. We maybe stumbled and not gotten the bounces we would have liked to down the stretch. But it was nice to see that when we needed to step up, we played a game.” - Mike RichardsNOTES OF THE NIGHT
* The Flyers won their first Atlantic Division championship since 2003-04 with their win over the Islanders tonight. It is their 16th division championship in franchise history (2 West Division – 1967-68 & 1973-74; 8 Patrick Division – 1975-76, 1976-77, 1979-80, 1982-83, 1984-85, 1985-86, 1986-87; 6 Atlantic Division – 1994-95, 1995-96, 1999-00, 2001-02, 2003-04, 2010-11.)
* The Flyers also swept the season series against the Isles (6-0) for the second time in three years, but for just the third time in team history.
* Andrej Meszaros
posted his second career two-goal game and set a new career high with four points tonight. He finishes the year at plus-30.
* Matt Carle
was a career high plus-4 tonight and also finishes the year at a plus-30.
* The Flyers won at home for the first time since March 8 vs. Edmonton.
* The Flyers’ 39 shots tonight were their most in a win since they had 41 on February 24, also against the Islanders, in a 4-3 win.
* The Flyers finished the season without shutting out an opponent. It’s just the third time in franchise history that’s happened (1988-89, 1981-82).
* The Flyers will face the Buffalo Sabres in a playoff series for the ninth time, which is the second most of any opponent the Flyers have faced in the playoffs. The Flyers are 5-3 against Buffalo in the playoffs. Their last meeting was in 2006, when Buffalo took a 4-games-to-2 win in the first round. The Sabres have won three of the last four series between the clubs dating back to 1998. Prior to that, the Flyers won four in a row between 1975 and 1997.