The Flyers announced their game roster for tonight's game vs. Boston at the Wells Fargo Center (7 p.m., NBCSP | 97.5 The Fanatic) and with it will mark the preseason debut of Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier.
New head coach Alain Vigneault and the Philadelphia Flyers (0-1-1 in the preseason) will take on Bruce Cassidy's Boston Bruins (0-0-1) at the Wells Fargo Center on Thursday night. Game time is 7 p.m. EDT. The game will be televised on NBCSP and NHL Network.
With the roster being unveiled, here are a look at the lines based off the morning skate:
A LOOK AT THE LINES
Other news, notes & quotes to takeaway from the skate:
* First game for four key vets: For the first time in the preseason, team captain Claude Giroux, top line center Sean Couturier, and the top defense pairing of Ivan Provorov and Matt Niskanen will all be in the Flyers lineup.
COUTURIER: "It will feel good to play a game. You train over the summer and you practice in camp, but you need to get in some games to work out a few things and get your timing back."
* Showcase for the top prospects: Joel Farabee will skate right on the Flyers top line tonight, as he has done several days in NHL camp. Morgan Frost will have the opportunity to center James van Riemsdyk and Jakub Voracek. Video: Hear from Giroux, Frost and Vigneault
VIGNEAULT: "Whether it's Farabee or Frost, you want to put the player in a position to succeed. They are skilled offensive players, so we want to take a look at them up there."
* German Rubtsov, who dressed in each of the first two preseason games, will be back it again on Thursday; the only player in camp to dress in every game of the exhibition slate thus far.
VIGNEAULT: "He has looked very good, and playing with more and more pace. We are looking at him right now on our bottom six [roster competition]."
Additionally, Nicolas Aube-Kubel is being rewarded for a strong performance against the Islanders on Tuesday with another game in the lineup.
* PP1 on display: The Flyers first power play unit come opening night may very well be the same personnel that will appear in Thursday's game. It's the same grouping and positional alignment that the team used in the second half of last season: Giroux on the right half boards, Voracek on left wing, Couturier down low and in the slot, JVR at netfront, and Gostisbehere at the point.
The second unit on Thursday will feature three rookie hopefuls up front -- Frost centering Aube-Kubel and Farabee. Provorov and Phil Myers were on the points in the morning skate, although Niskanen also took a few reps at right point.
* Goaltending plan: Brian Elliott played half of Monday's game against the Islanders. The plan for Thursday is for him to play the first and second periods with Alex Lyon coming in to start the third period. Vigneault indicated that Elliott would go the distance his next time out. The same ramp-up plan is in place for Carter Hart, who played the first 30 minutes of Tuesday's game in Uniondale.
The Flyers also announced some injury updates:
* Forward Kurtis Gabriel and defenseman Andy Welinski are both week-to-week with a lower-body injury.
10 - Andy Andreoff RW
14 - Sean Couturier C
25 - James van Riemsdyk LW
28 - Claude Giroux LW
48 - Morgan Frost C
49 - Joel Farabee RW
50 - German Rubtsov C
51 - Kyle Criscuolo RW
62 - Nicolas Aube-Kubel RW
81 - Carsen Twarynski LW
82 - Connor Bunnaman C
93 - Jakub Voracek RW
5 - Philippe Myers
9 - Ivan Provorov
15 - Matt Niskanen
20 - Chris Bigras
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
53 - Shayne Gostisbehere
61 - Justin Braun
80 - Rob Michel
34 - Alex Lyon
37 - Brian Elliott