The Flyers and Avalanche held a morning skate at the Pepsi Center in preparation for their first meeting of the season. Below are news & notes to come out of both sessions:
* With news breaking of David Kase being recalled and Oskar Lindblom out of the lineup with an upper-body injuries, a few noticeable changes revealed themselves.
* David Kase will be in the lineup, taking a spot on the fourth line with Chris Stewart and Mikhail Vorobyev. Kase becomes the sixth Flyer to make their NHL debut this season, all of which have been forwards. The last to make their debut, Morgan Frost had a brief chance to play with Kase down in Lehigh Valley.
FROST: "He's a fast player and he brings a lot of energy... I've said it before, he's real easy to play with because he works really hard."
* Oskar Lindblom will miss his first game of the season with an upper-body injury... Combined with Travis Konecny missing tonight with a concussion, this means the Flyers are without their two leading goal scorers.
VIGNEAULT: "Well, that's part of the game. In an 82-game schedule all teams go through it at some point or another a situation like this. It's a great opportunity for some other guys. It's a matter of going out there and playing the right way and playing smart. That's what we're doing tonight."
* Carter Hart will get the call in net for the second straight game. He's won each of his last four outings and has earned the Flyers a point in his last five (4-0-1), but will face the Avalanche for the first time in his NHL career.
* With Kase coming in, Lindblom & Konecny out, Alain Vigneault was forced to juggle lines, all except one - the Laughton, Hayes & Farabee line stays in tact. Claude Giroux will move up from the Frost line to playing the wing with Couturier at center and Voracek on the other wing. Below are the line combinations from the morning:
LINE PLAY - FLYERS
Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - Hayes - Farabee
van Riemsdyk - Frost - Pitlick
Stewart - Vorobyev - Kase
BEHIND ENEMY LINES (Quote courtesy: Avalanche.com)
* The Avalanche come in as one of the NHL's hottest teams, winners of six of their last seven and earning points in all seven of those contests (6-0-1).
* As if they weren't dangerous enough, forward Nazem Kadri returns to the lineup tonight after missing the last three games with a lower-body injury. Kadri has 20 points (10-g-10a) in 27 games this season, his first with the Avs.
* The Flyers could get a break however. Star rookie defenseman, Cale Makar is expected to be out of the lineup with an upper-body injury, while another mainstay on the Avs blueline, Erik Johnson, could also be out. He has a lower-body injury.
* Avs head coach Jared Bednar addressed Makar's injury after practice on Tuesday.
BEDNAR: "He has been feeling better the last couple days. He will just get reevaluated every 24 hours, and we will just make a decision on when he can get back in the lineup. Doubtful for tomorrow."
LINE PLAY - AVALANCHE
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Calvert
Nieto - Jost - Compher
Zadorov - Girard
Graves - Cole
Rosen - Barberio