Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

The Five Takeaways: Flames vs. Hurricanes

by Torie Peterson / Calgary Flames


Tuesday's match-up between the Flames and the Hurricanes featured a father-vs-son subplot as Flames bench boss Brent Sutter squared off against Carolina forward Brandon Sutter.

Brandon didn't fare so well against his dad's club. He was a minus-two in his 17:00 of ice time, throwing one shot on net.

The two have had several connections throughout their careers. Brent coached Brandon during his junior career with the Red Deer Rebels from 2004-08. He notched 68 goals and 154 points with his dad behind the bench.


Curtis Glencross is battling the flu and was deemed not ready to play when 7:00 PM rolled around so veteran forward Brendan Morrison suited up for the first time since Nov. 25. Playing alongside Jarome Iginla and Olli Jokinen, Morrison notched two goals and two assists in the win.

Overall, he played 14:50, was a plus-three, had three shots on net and blocked one shot.


The Flames came out flying in the first period, landing 10 shots on Cam Ward before the Hurricanes even managed one.

Jarome Iginla buried his eighth goal of the season at 3:07, with the helpers going to Jokinen and Morrison. Then, with just over a minute left in the frame, Lee Stempniak was able to whack the puck past Ward after a scramble at the goal mouth.

The goal was created by Jay Bouwmeester, who threw the puck on net from a sharp angle hoping a teammate could pick up the rebound. Blake Comeau also assisted on Stempniak's seventh of the season.


Just over five minutes into the second period, TJ Brodie hauled down Jiri Tlusty on a breakaway and the Hurricanes forward was awarded a penalty shot.

Tlusty's great deke around Kiprusoff allowed him to go top shelf on the netminder, opening the scoring for Carolina.


The back-and-forth pace in the third period saw the Flames and Hurricanes score three goals each, making it a 7-6 game when all was said and done.

Chad LaRose and Eric Staal scored in the final minute - with Staal's second of the evening coming with just over five seconds left in the game - but the Iginla's empty netter at 18:51 ended up carrying his club to victory.

View More