Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Sharks 2 Flames 0: Inside the Game

by Torie Peterson / Calgary Flames

—  A constant stream of penalties led the Sharks to a 2-0 win that tied the series at 1-1.

The Flames spent close to half of the second period sitting in the penalty box, including an extended five on three.

The first period was a physical affair for both teams. The Sharks came out with more a jump than in game one and it showed physically. Everyone was finishing their checks and if there was an opportunity, every player didn't hesitate to send someone sprawling to the ice.

Cory Sarich made a great, quick-thinking play mid-way through the first period. Four Shark players collapsed on a rushing David Moss and Sarich skated in on the opposite unwatched. Moss saw him open and made a quick pass that landed right on Sarich's stick. It looked like the Flames had the first goal of the game but Evgeni Nabokov flashed the glove and kept the game scoreless.

The Sharks got on the board first early in the second period. Joe Pavelski picked up Marc-Edouard Vlasic's shot that bounced off the end boards and fired it at the net. The shot tricked Kiprusoff who looked like he thought Pavelski was going to pass the puck instead of shooting it. The goal came at 4:56.

Calgary ran into penalty troubles in the second frame. They took an astounding six straight penalties, including a five on three situation where Jim Vandermeer took a slashing call against Joe Thorton. With three players sitting in the box, the Sharks put on the pressure and Kiprusoff had to stand on his head to keep his team in the game. The Flames killed off the extended five on three but with only nine seconds left, the Sharks got their second goal of the period.

Torrey Mitchell was able to whack in the puck during a scramble in front of the net. Kiprusoff couldn't quite get a glove on the loose puck and the penalties finally came back to bite the Flames. The late goal came at 18:09.

Shots on goal in the second period were 27-3, favouring the San Jose.

The second period ended on a slightly better note for the Flames. Matthew Lombardi tried to split the defense and in the process, drew a penalty on Craig Rivet for interference. The minor came right at the horn so the Flames had the advantage of starting the final period on a full power play.

Calgary had some luck in the third period as the Sharks got sloppy and took three straight penalties. That luck was squandered however, and the Flames couldn't get the puck past Nabokov and the shot-blocking Sharks.

The final period was filled with end-to-end action with both goaltenders pulling out all the stops. Owen Nolan was absolutely robbed point blank by Nabokov half way through the frame. Nolan grabbed the puck and went to bury it in an open net but Nabokov somehow got his arm across and gloved the puck.

Shortly after that chance, Kiprusoff had to be sharp on a Patrick Marleau breakaway. He collapsed down to the ice and managed to push the puck out of the way.

The game ended with the Flames in the box once again. Cory Sarich was in the box for cross-checking until there was a mere thirty seconds left in the game.

The Flames head back to the Pengrowth Saddledome for Sunday's game three and hope to take the lead in the series.

THE BIG SAVE: During an extended five on three for San Jose, Miikka Kiprusoff was nothing short of exceptional. In one sequence, Jeremy Roenick had a wide open net and while he shot wide intially, he picked up the puck and shot it again. At that point, Kiprusoff had extended himself completely across the goal line, a foot at each post, and was able to smack the puck away on Roenick's second shot.
THE BIG HIT: Late in the second period, Cory Sarich gave Matthew Carle a ride against the boards. Carle didn't appear to see the Flames defenseman and Sarich leveled him. Sarich cleared the puck out of the defensive zone while a dazed Carle stumbled to his feet.
THE TURNING POINT: The Flames took six consecutive penalties in the second period, including an extended five on three, and with just nine seconds left on the final minor, Torrey Mitchell was able to bat a loose puck past Kiprusoff. The Flames goaltender had shown some of his best goaltending during the barrage of penalties but just couldn't quite get a glove on the puck. The goal gave the Sharks a two goal lead to go into the final frame.

QUOTABLE: "We were great in penatly killing. One for ten with five on three's, you couldn't do any better than what we did in the length of time we were shorthanded."  - Mike Keenan on what he thought was positive about the game

THE ROSTER: The Flames scratches were D Rhett Warrener (ankle), D Anders Eriksson, F Dustin Boyd, F Marcus Nilson and F Mark Smith (head).

WORTH NOTING: Calgary penalties went from two to ten between games ... Mike Keenan didn't endear himself to the referees. He was shown several times arguing with them about what he thought were questionable calls ... Evegni Nabokov earned his 6th career shutout  in the victory.

BY THE NUMBERS: Dion Phaneuf turned 23 today. He logged an impressive 9:20 of ice time in the first period ... the Flames took three straight penalties in second period. They only took two in total in game one ... the Flames outshot the Sharks 10-8 in first period but the second period was a whole other story. The Sharks had 27 shots, with two goals, while the Flames had three ... Kiprusoff has had 82 shots fired at him in the first two games of the series.
UP NEXT: The Flames head back to the Sea of Red for Sunday's 8:00 p.m. game.

Author: Victoria Peterson

View More