Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Inside The Game: Flames vs. Canucks

by Aaron Vickers / Calgary Flames


CALGARY -- There wasn't much the Calgary Flames didn't throw at Cory Schneider.

The Vancouver Canucks goaltender barely batted an eye.

Goals in the opening minute and final minute of the game bookended a 36-save performance by Schneider as the Canucks upended Calgary 5-2 at Rogers Arena on Saturday night.

The win gives Vancouver five straight on home ice while the Flames are winless in 13 straight away from Scotiabank Saddledome.

Though the Canucks escaped the first period with a 2-1 lead, it was Calgary who carried the play in the opening 20 minutes of the game. It didn't take them long to jump out to that lead, either.

Just 34 seconds in, Alexandre Burrows fed Dan Hamhuis on a 2-on-1, who beat Flames' starter Miikka Kiprusoff on Vancouver's first shot of the game for a 1-0 edge.

Dale Weise extended that lead to two at 6:57, deflecting a one-timed blast off the stick of Jason Garrison from the point behind Kiprusoff to give Vancouver a 2-0 lead.

Dennis Wideman cut the score in half with a nifty play.

Jumping into the rush, Wideman took a pass from Matt Stajan on an odd-manned rush, faked his booming slapshot and instead floated a wrister under the arm of Schneider to cut the lead to 2-1 at 13:49.

Continuing to carry the play, Calgary had several quality opportunities to knot the game.

A Jiri Hudler post less than a minute after Wideman's goal and a point-blank Schneider save off Roman Horak on the power play with under three minutes remaining in the period kept the Flames down by one after 20 minutes.

Unable to pull even in the first, the Flames fell further behind in the middle frame.

Kiprusoff stopped Daniel Sedin's wrap around, but with the puck sitting between his pads, Burrows poked the puck across the goal line to extend Vancouver's lead to 3-1 at 7:24.

Six seconds into a power play with under a minute remaining in the second, the Canucks pushed the lead to three. Henrik Sedin won the ensuing draw in Calgary's end to brother Daniel Sedin, who fired a pass over to Alexander Edler. Edler didn't hesitate to unleash the puck from his stick, sending a one-timer through traffic and behind Kiprusoff with 27 seconds remaining in the period for a 4-1 score.

Tanguay brought the Flames to within two near the midway mark of the third period.

Sprung on a partial breakaway by Matt Stajan, Tanguay broke in on Schneider and slipped a backhand between the legs of the goaltender at 10:49 to bring the Flames to within two.

But with the net empty and a 6-on-4 advantage, the Flames couldn't take advantage and Henrik Sedin found the back of the vacant cage with 10.1 seconds remaining in the game for the 6-4 final.


Known for his booming slapshot, Wideman instead threw a change-up towards Schneider, floating a wrister under the arm of the Canucks keeper for Calgary's first goal of the game at 13:49 of the opening period.


With 1:51 remaining in the second period, Kiprusoff stoned Burrows on the doorstep after a pass from behind the net courtesy Henrik Sedin.


Making his National Hockey League debut, Max Reinhart didn't shy away from the physicality, crunching Christopher Tanev along the end boards in the Vancouver zone with 11 minutes remaining in the first period.


Burrows' tally to give the Canucks a two-goal edge at 7:24 of the second period gave the Canucks enough of a cushion en route to winning their fifth in a row on home ice.


"I felt a lot more comfortable (as the game went on)."

-Max Reinhart


Assisting on Tanguay's third period marker, Lee Stempniak recorded his 300th career NHL point.


Anton Babchuk was a healthy scratch. Curtis Glencross missed the game due to injury, while both Derek Smith and Paul Byron are on the injured reserve list with injuries.


The Flames wrap up their three-game road swing against the Colorado Avalanche on Monday against the Colorado Avalanche (7 p.m. MT, SNET-W).

View More