Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Game Blog: Flames vs. Canucks

by Kristi Hennessy / Calgary Flames
Post-Game Analysis:

The Flames broke out of the gates strong going up a pair of goals on the Canucks by the ten minute mark of the opening period. The Canucks answered back to make it 2-1 going into the second. The shot clock after 20 minutes was 18-4 for the Flames.

"It'll happen during camp games," Greg Nemisz commented on the out-shooting the Canucks today. "But if we continue this on through the season we're not going to come out on the short end too many times."

The Canucks had the force in the second period netting three goals to steal the lead and go up 4-2.  There was also a dissallowed goal in the dying minutes of the second frame as they reported that the whistle had blown down the play.

The third was a all a game of catch-up for the Flames as they tried to claw their way back into the game. Scoring for the Flames was Mitch Wahl on the power play unassisted and Jon Rheault. Canucks Brad Smith added the game-winner to help lift the Canucks prospects over the Flames by a score of 5-4.

"I think that we were a little unlucky today, I thought we out-played them the entire game but it was a great experience," said Nemisz.

"I think as a team we showed up pretty well," said John Armstrong. "We put a lot of pucks on net, went hard and really tried to play Flames hockey."

Today's game concludes the Young Stars prospect tournament in Penticton, BC. The Flames will head home to Calgary and are set to open training camp tomorrow, September 17th with fitness testing and medicals.

"I just want to show that I am at the next level," said Armstrong. "I want to be out there and show that I am strong enough and fast enough to play with those guys."

First Period:

The Flames found their way onto the scoreboard just 3:30 into the opening frame. Josh Meyers with a nice pass from T.J Brodie at the top of the left circle. Meyers fired a hard slap shot that made its way through Canucks goaltender Eddie Lack. 1-0 Flames.

Just a few minutes later at the five minute mark, Gaelan Patterson barged his way into the Canucks zone, threw a shot on net, found his rebound and slid it to the back of the net. 2-0 Flames.

The Canucks answered back seconds later finding their first goal of the afternoon. Kevin Clark was credited with the goal. 2-1 Flames.

First penalty is given to Giffen Nyren for tripping but the Flames kept the door shut and the score at 2-1.

With two minutes to play, Canucks found themselves down two men for nearly a minute and a half but the Flames failed to convert on the five-on-three. After 20 minutes, the Flames lead 2-1 and dominated the shot clock 18-4.

Second Period:

A slow start to the second period for the first seven minutes until Matt Fraser picked up the Canucks second goal to tie the game 2-2. A three-on-two flew into the Flames zone for a tic-tac-toe play to the back of the net.

Canucks kept buzzing as Dan Gendur scored the go-ahead Canucks goal just over a minute later. 3-2 Canucks near the midway mark of the second.

Josh Meyers sent to the sin bin for holding giving the Canucks the man advantage but the Flames kill off another Canucks power play.

Cam Lanigan with a pair of huge saves on Prab Rai who fired a hard shot on net and grabbed his own rebound for another but Lanigan's toe kept that one out. That didn't stop Rai as he came back out on the power play and shot one right top shelf  to widen the gap to 4-2.

David Fischer sent to the box minutes later for a double highsticking minor. Flames go to a four minute power play.

The Canucks with a strong penalty kill managed to keep the 4-2 lead after playing in their zone for most of the second half of the double minor.

On the other end, the Flames got a lucky break with a disallowed goal. A quick whistle after a shot on net waved off the goal and that's how period two would end. Flames still owning the shot clock now at 34-14.

Third Period:

Just about five minutes into the final frame, Cam Lanigan with a huge toe save on a Canucks three on one rush as a Kevin Connauton broke out of the box after serving a tripping penalty.
Lanigan kept the Flames within two.

Then on the other end, at 6:19 of the third, Stefan Schneider took a high-sticking penalty. Mitch Wahl this time was able to convert on the power play with a hard slap shot from just inside the blue line. Flames narrow the gap to 4-3.

With three minutes left in regulation, Canucks find their fifth goal of the day. Brad Smith fired one past Cam Lanigan stick side to go up 5-3.

Less than a minute later, John Rheault got one right back for the Flames. Picking up the assists on the Flames fourth goal was Greg Nemisz and Chris Breen.  5-4 Canucks.

The Flames pull Lanigan for the extra attacker with less than a minute to play. With heavy pressure, the Flames threw everything they had at Lack but instead of finding the equalizer, Carter Bancks found the penalty box for high-sticking.

Time wound down on the Flames as they came up short in their final game at the Young Stars tournament. Shots after 60 minutes were 47-21 for the Flames.

Author: Kristi Hennessy

View More