Monday night when the Ducks defeated the Flames 5-4 in OT, all four Stanley Cup Playoff games went to overtime, marking the first time since April 10, 1985 that four playoff games all featured overtime on the same night.
That night in 1985, the Winnipeg Jets found themselves down 4-1 to Calgary during the second period of Game 1 in the Division Semifinals. The Jets scored four unanswered goals to complete the comeback and defeat the Flames 5-4 in overtime.
Ducks head coach Randy Carlyle, assistant coach Paul MacLean and television color analyst Brian Hayward all played for Winnipeg that night. Carlyle had one assist and an even rating, MacLean had one goal and was a +1, and Hayward was the winning goaltender as he stopped 27-of-31 shots.
MacLean scored Winnipeg's second goal at 15:08 of the second period to start the comeback. Almost 32 years to the day, the Ducks completed a nearly identical comeback against the Flames in last night's Game 3, with Carlyle and MacLean behind the Anaheim bench and Hayward calling the game on Prime Ticket as the longtime Ducks TV color analyst.
Below is the box score from the 1985 game:
Wednesday, April 10, 1985
CALGARY 4 @ WINNIPEG 5 OVERTIME
1. WINNIPEG, Dave Babych 1 (Randy Carlyle) 5:27 PPG
Penalties - Bourgeois C 4:41, Nill W 6:57, Baxter C 9:45, Kromm C Hawerchuk
W 15:08, Risebrough C Hunter C
Carlyle W Nill W 19:57
2. CALGARY, Eddy Beers 1 (unassisted) 2:53 PPG
3. CALGARY, Hakan Loob 1 (Richard Kromm, Doug Risebrough) 5:44
4. CALGARY, Paul Reinhart 1 (unassisted) 11:32
5. CALGARY, Steve Konroyd 1 (Doug Risebrough, Hakan Loob) 14:48 SHG
6. WINNIPEG, Paul MacLean 1 (Joe Mullen, Dale Hawerchuk) 15:08 PPG
Penalties - Steen W 0:12, Hawerchuk W 1:06, Otto C 8:49, MacInnis C 11:59,
Flames' bench (served by
C. Wilson) 14:10
7. WINNIPEG, Dale Hawerchuk 1 (unassisted) 0:20
8. WINNIPEG, Dave Ellett 1 (Laurie Boschman) 4:33 PPG
Penalties - Hunter C 2:41, Picard W 5:24, Baxter C (double minor) Turnbull W
9:22, Patterson C Turnbull W
(majors) 16:35, Cavallini C Peplinski C Steen W Martin W Picard W 20:00
FIRST OVERTIME PERIOD
9. WINNIPEG, Brian Mullen 1 (Dave Ellett) 7:56GWG
Penalties - None
Shots on goal by
FLAMES 6 13 6 6 31
JETS 10 7 7 7 31
CALGARY, Rejean Lemelin; WINNIPEG, Brian Hayward
Power play - CGY - 1 for 5, WPG - 3 for 7
14,794 at Winnipeg Arena