Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Recap: Ducks Upended in Overtime by Philadelphia, 3-2

by Adam Brady @AdamJBrady /

ANAHEIM - The magic of Opening Night didn't quite carry over for the Ducks tonight against Philadelphia at Honda Center.

Though Anaheim managed to come back and tie the game in the third period, they couldn't keep the momentum going into overtime and were ultimately vanquished not long after it started.

The Flyers ended it just 44 seconds into the 3-on-3 session when Wayne Simmonds found the puck on his stick on left wing with plenty of open ice in front of him, and he wristed a shot past goalie John Gibson.

Remarkably, the Ducks had won eight in a row over Philadelphia before tonight, dating back to 2013. 

Anaheim played a second straight game without a number of luminaries, including captain Ryan Getzlaf and winger Patrick Eaves to go along with longer-term injuries to center Ryan Kesler and defensemen Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen. Winger Nick Ritchie was ruled out with a lower body injury earlier today.

While the Ducks were able to overcome that two nights ago, they couldn't generate much offensively tonight.

It's no secret, we're facing adversity early on," said center Antoine Vermette, who had Anaheim's first goal tonight for his 500th career point. "We don't want to create any excuses for ourselves. We believe in our group and know what we're capable of. In order to be successful, we're going to have to dig in and be well-structured, and work as a five-man group out there. Unfortunately, we didn't get the two points we came here for."

The Ducks did manage a point, thanks in part to tying the game after trailing by a goal and finding themselves shorthanded early in the third. Cam Fowler tied it up virtually by himself, stealing the puck away at his own blue line, hustling down left wing and unleashing a slap shot on the move that beat goalie Brian Elliott glove side.

Video: PHI@ANA: Fowler blasts shorthanded goal past Elliott

It was one of just 23 shots for the Ducks, who gave up 37 to Philadelphia as Gibson kept Anaheim in it for most of the night.

Video: PHI@ANA: Gibson lays out to deny Giroux

"He's played great for us and kept us in both hockey games," Fowler said. "He's a big reason why we're in the position we are. It's fair to say we're giving up too many Grade-A chances. A lot of that has to do with us turning the puck over. We seem to be on the receiving end quite a bit."

Gibson made a number of big saves on Philadelphia's first nine shots, but he couldn't stop the 10th, as Ivan Provorov hammered a one-timer past him on the power play.

Anaheim got even with 7:47 left in the period when Ondrej Kase made a beautiful feed across the slot that Vermette banged inside the near post.

Video: PHI@ANA: Vermette goes to one knee to beat Elliott

Philly re-took the lead 13 minutes into the middle frame when Jakub Voracek dropped a backhand to Sean Couturier, who slipped it under Gibson.

"We'll take the point and move on," said Ducks coach Randy Carlyle. "It wasn't one we could say we played very well in as a whole. We had some spurts, but we didn't really have the consistency going."

The Ducks (1-0-1) play again Monday vs. Calgary at Honda Center, the third game in a four-game homestand to start the season.

View More