Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Game Recap: Goals Continue to Elude Ducks in 2-1 Loss

by Kyle Shohara @kyleshohara /

Getting their first look at the new home of the Edmonton Oilers, the Ducks dropped a 2-1 final at Rogers Place on Tuesday night. Nick Sorensen scored the lone goal for Anaheim, which fell to 0-4-1 in the preseason. John Gibson made 35 saves in the loss.

Patrick Maroon and Mark Letestu scored for Edmonton (4-2-0) and Cam Talbot turned aside 25 shots for his first win of the preseason.

The Oilers opened the scoring when Oscar Klefbom's point shot deflected off Gibson and onto the stick of Maroon, who tapped it into an empty net to give the Oilers a 1-0 lead 2:55 into the first period.

Anaheim's penalty-killing units were put to the test shortly after, when Ryan Garbutt was called for hooking at 5:53 and Simon Despres was whistled for boarding at 7:25. No harm for the Ducks, who killed off the 5-on-3 and the remainder of Despres' penalty with relative ease.

The Ducks made the Oilers pay at the 15:24 mark of the first period when Jesse Puljujärvi's errant pass up the middle was picked off by Sorensen, who was able to walk in all alone and beat Talbot through the wickets for his second goal of the preseason.

Edmonton would come close to regaining the lead midway through the second period when Gibson's clearing attempt got blocked by Oilers forward Zack Kassian in the high slot. Gibson, however, was able to scramble back into the crease to nullify what would've been a wide open net.

Maroon made his presence known again, this time on Letestu's goal at 15:15 of the second period. The rugged left wing was able to use his size to shield the puck and shovel it to the front of the net, where Letestu jammed it past Gibson to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead.

The Ducks would find themselves shorthanded for the third time when Korbinian Holzer was called for holding at the 15:54 mark of the second period. Oddly enough, the best chances during that two-minute span came from Anaheim, specifically Joseph Cramarossa, who unloaded a snap shot that Talbot managed to get a glove on.

Not making things any easier for themselves, the Ducks went back to the box with 1:18 remaining in the second period on Despres' delay-of-game penalty.

The Oilers took a 2-1 lead and 26-21 shot advantage into the second intermission.

The Ducks were awarded their first power play of the game when Anton Lander was called for interference with 7:50 remaining in regulation. But the Ducks rarely had any zone time, and the Oilers were able to kill off the infraction with relative ease.

Despite pulling Gibson for the extra attacker in the final 1:30 of regulation, the Ducks couldn't find the equalizer, and fell, 2-1, to the Oilers.

The Ducks will play the tail-end of their back-to-back set tomorrow night in San Jose.

View More