Skip to Main Content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Ducks Outgunned 8-4 by Flames at Young Stars

by Staff Writer / Anaheim Ducks
By Kristi Patton

Special to


Forward John Kurtz put the Ducks on the scoreboard first with a power play goal at the 7:42 mark of the first period. (Photo by Kristi Patton)
PENTICTON, B.C. -  Struggles on the penalty kill followed the Ducks into their second game of the Young Stars tournament, leaving them with a bitter 8-4 loss to the Calgary Flames at the South Okanagan Events Centre on Monday.

"Penalty kill is a hard thing you have to have special people that are committed to doing it - guys that are committed to blocking shots all the time," said Mark Holick, coach of the rookie Ducks.  "We didn't jump on loose pucks and we didn't put enough pressure on their power play. Your goalie is your best penalty killer and I thought maybe a couple of those he would like back too."

The Ducks struck first when John Kurtz jammed in a puck for a power play goal at 7:42 in the first period. After Calgary replied with two unanswered goals to take the lead, Ducks defenseman Jake Newton gave his fiancee Annie Sunderland, who was in the crowd with a small group of screaming friends and family,  a birthday gift to remember with a power play tally to lock the teams at 2-2 to end the period.

"She said score a goal for me so I thought maybe I should," Newton said.

A tug-of-war on the scoreboard continued as Ducks goaltender Marco Cousineau continued to keep the pressuring Flames offense at bay. Flames forward Jon Rheault found some room to move in the second period, wrapping around the net and tucking the puck in to give them the go-ahead goal at 11:55. Seconds later Devante Smith-Pelly stole the puck at mid-ice and streaked down the right side firing a shot over Flames goaltender Matt Keetley's blocker to knot the game at 3-3.

With Scott Valentine sitting in the penalty box for Anaheim, the attacking Flames put three shots on net before Mikael Backlund found the back of the net to give them a 4-3 lead with 6:14 remaining in the second. This spurred a four-goal spree by the Flames that went unanwsered until the final seconds of the game when Jake Carrick scored.
View More