The Ducks are teaming up with the North America Scholastic Esports Federation (NASEF) to find North America's best hockey fans and Minecraft designers for the 2020 Minecraft Face-Off. NASEF is looking for teams of up to four students in grades 3rd-12th who want to face-off against teams throughout the United States and Canada for a chance to win prizes.
The competition will give students the chance to design their favorite hockey team's logo, jersey and a next generation hockey arena. NASEF leverages massive youth interest in esports by teaching students about career options that exist in esports, professional sports, and other industries. Students may develop gaming abilities, with emphasis on learning and practicing skills in related careers such as shoutcasting, marketing, artwork and design, and more. NASEF along with its affiliates, the Garden State Scholastic Esports and the Florida Scholastic Esports League, have developed three design challenges as part of the Minecraft Face-off for teams to complete and submit via Flipgrid by Friday, May 15, 2020. Make sure to join NASEF on Friday, Apr. 24, 2020 at 12 p.m. PT on the NASEF Twitch Channel, as they will review each challenge, share tips, information, how-tos and live-builds.
What you need to do to enter the 2020 NASEF Minecraft Face-off:
- Watch the NASEF stream (it will be available for playback, in case you miss the stream)
- Review the eligibility requirements
- Register your team (teams of up to four members or individual teams accepted). During the registration process, indicate your favorite professional hockey team. Once your registration is confirmed, you will be sent an email with the Flipgrid link.
- Follow the Challenge guidelines in Flipgrid
- Use Minecraft to design the Challenge
- Create a video using Flipgrid (times will vary per Challenge)
- Submit your video in Flipgrid. The video should be submitted by an adult sponsor and include a narrative of the designs.
- Share your video on Twitter, using the hashtag #MinecraftFaceOff
To be eligible for the 2020 NASEF Minecraft Face-Off, all entries must meet the basic requirements:
- Complete registration on the North America Scholastic Esports Federation website.
- Teams are comprised of students in grades 3rd-12th residing in the United States and Canada;
- Must be your own original work;
- Must not contain any content that is obscene or offensive;
- Must not contain your image or any identification markers;
- Follow the guidelines as outlined in Flipgrid; and
- Videos must be submitted in Flipgrid.
Each design submitted by a team will be reviewed using a rubric specifically created for each Challenge. Teams will earn points based on their design.
NASEF will be awarding teams with the following:
- Individual Challenge team awards: Each team member will receive (1) Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition on their desired platform.
- Grand prize team awards: Each team member will receive: (1) Xbox One Minecraft Creeper Wireless Controller or Microsoft Xbox One Minecraft Pig Edition Wireless Controller AND (1) Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition - an all-new action-adventure game, inspired by classic dungeon crawlers and set in the Minecraft universe!
Anaheim Ducks fans will be awarding teams with the following:
- Individual Challenges: Team-signed gear and a Ducks Gaming hat.
- Grand prize: Team-signed gear, a Ducks Gaming hat and a Zoom call with an Anaheim Ducks player.
NASEF is working with other professional hockey teams for this exciting community-building event. Teams that join will award prizes to entrants that represent their clubs. These prizes and awards are not guaranteed at this time, but some examples may be signed memorabilia.
For more information, the official contest rules and frequently asked questions and answers please visit www.esportsfed.org/MinecraftFaceOff.
About Anaheim Ducks Gaming
Anaheim Ducks Gaming is a newly-formed entity that focuses on creating relationships, fostering competition and building valuable skill sets through esports all while exposing new audiences to the sport of hockey. Participants in Anaheim Ducks Gaming events learn communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and other tools that are beneficial beyond just virtual reality. Content and an upcoming schedule can be viewed by visiting AnaheimDucks.com/esports.
About the North America Scholastic Esports Federation
The North America Scholastic Esports Federation is working to ensure that ALL students possess the knowledge and skills needed to be society's game changers: educated, productive, and empathetic individuals. NASEF is on a mission to provide opportunities for ALL students to use esports as a platform to acquire critical communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills needed to thrive in work and in life. The Federation's core values are intertwined through all aspects of education and play: learning, opportunity, community, diversity, and respect.
Learn more at www.esportsfed.org. See matches streamed live on our Twitch channel, and join online conversations on Twitter @NASEFedu, or at "Scholastic Esports" on Facebook and Instagram.