The New Jersey Devils have teamed up with RWJBarnabas Health to prepare some healthy recipes, perfect for athletes, fans and, families. Watch as Travis Zajac joins Barbara Mintz, Vice President of Healthy Living for RWJBarnabas Health and Jason Choate, Executive Chef for Prudential Center, as the crew cooks up an Avocado & Crab Salad with a special twist, only a hockey player could add. If you'd like to whip up this dish, the recipe is below.
Avocado and Crab Salad
• Cooking spray
• 1 small carrot
• 1 small red onion, halved
• 1 pound ground chicken
• 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
• 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
• 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 3 teaspoons hot Asian chili sauce, such as sambal oelek
• 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
• Juice of 1 lime
• 4 whole-wheat sesame hamburger buns
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Grate the carrot and 1/2 onion into a large bowl. Add the chicken, panko, 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, the ginger, 3 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sambal oelek and mix until combined.
3. Shape the chicken mixture into 4 patties and place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, thinly slice the remaining 1/2 onion. Toss with the mushrooms, sesame oil, lime juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce in a bowl.
6. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce and 2 teaspoons sambal oelek with 1 tablespoon water in another bowl.
7. Warm the hamburger buns in the oven. Serve the burgers on the buns with a drizzle of the hoisin-sambal sauce and some of the mushroom mixture