DETROIT -- The New Jersey Devils made their first trip to Little Caesars Arena a memorable one.
Taking on the Red Wings in Detroit's new arena, the Devils earned a 4-3 overtime victory to improve to 14-5-4 this season. Brian Gibbons played the overtime hero at 2:32 into the extra period for the victory.
Here are 10 takeaways from the game:
1. Coach John Hynes made only one change to the lineup on Saturday night: Keith Kinkaid got the start ahead of Cory Schneider who played on Friday night against the Canucks. Kinkaid made 31 saves on 34 shots in his first career start against the Red Wings.
2. Kinkaid didn't get the start of the game he wanted. A deflection in front of the net by Red Wing David Booth netted his first goal as a Red Wing on a deflection just 34 seconds into the game. The Devils would not be phased by the early goal, however, fighting back in the first frame.
3. Brian Boyle scored for the second time in as many nights. Boyle registered his third goal of the season off a redirect on a Steven Santini shot from the point. The goal evened the score at 1-1 at 9:12 of the first period. Santini and Miles Wood picked up the assists. See the goal below:
4. Call the Devils' first goal of the game the "BC connection." All three players (Boyle, Santini and Wood) attended and played at Boston College.
5. Taylor Hall and Will Butcher continue to do what they do best: put points on the board. The two connected on the power play at 13:21 of the first period to give the Devils a 2-1 lead. The goal was Hall's eighth of the season, for his team-leading 25th point in 23 games. He would later assist on the Devils' third goal of the game giving him a total of 26 points so far this season.
6. Butcher is right behind Hall in points on the Devils with 18 on the season. His assist on Hall's first period goal was his 16th assist of the season, and his 18th point overall. The rookie continues to lead all NHL rookies with 10 power play assists in 23 games played.
7. Nico Hischier has his four goal of the season. Hischier scored the Devils' third goal of the night at 6:12 of the third period to give New Jersey a 3-1 lead. Hall and Adam Henrique picked up the assists on the goal. See the goal below:
8. The Devils had a tough stretch in the third period after taking a 3-1 lead. The team gave up two goals in a span of 1:26 to find the game tied at three.
9. Both the Devils and Red Wings have gone to overtime or the shootout in three of their previous four games.
10. The Devils will head back to New Jersey to host the Panthers on Monday night. Tickets are available.
That game is followed another road trip where the Devils make stops against the Avalanche, Coyotes and Blue Jackets.