Newark, N.J. - The New Jersey Devils will be hosting their annual Hockey Fights Cancer night this Thursday, October 24 when they play the Vancouver Canucks at Prudential Center at 7:00 PM. October is the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer awareness month.
During Thursday’s game, there will be a number of events taking place throughout the evening including:
• The team will be hosting a number of young patients and families affected by this disease from the Devils and Prudential Center hospital partners including Barnabas Health System, Atlantic Health System and Holy Name Medical Center (Teaneck, N.J.)
• A cancer survivor will be on the ice during that evening’s National Anthem
• Honorary captains will be named that evening that have been affected with the disease
• The Hero of the Game will be a local area Vietnam Veteran who has survived cancer
• Collections will be taking place at entrance points
• Sales of signed mystery pucks - gift bagged player signed pucks that are available for purchase, bags are stuffed at random so it’s a surprise whose signature will be on the puck
• Airing of the league and Devils Hockey Fights Cancer PSA’s
• Devils’ management, coaching staff and broadcasters will be wearing Hockey Fights Cancer apparel including ties and hats
• Devils and Prudential Center staff will be showing their support by wearing Hockey Fights Cancer pins
• Hockey Fights Cancer merchandise will be on sale at the Devils Den
• The Devils homepage, along with their social media platforms, will all be Hockey Fights Cancer-themed
All proceeds from this initiative will be donated back to the Devils and Prudential Center local hospital partners.