NEWARK, N.J. - The New Jersey Devils and star forward Kyle Palmieri have announced a new military recognition program called "Squad21" that will offer active or veteran service members the chance to attend a Devils home game during the 2016-17 regular season. The program will launch for Devils Military Appreciation Night on Saturday, November 12 as the team hosts the Buffalo Sabres at 7 p.m.
All active or veteran service members from the Tri-State Region can register to be considered at NewJerseyDevils.com/Squad21. A valid military ID is required to enter. Twenty-one people will be randomly chosen for each of 21 designated Squad21 games and invited to bring a guest. As part of the program, the service members and their guests will sit in Section 21 at Prudential Center and have an exclusive meet-and-greet with Palmieri following each game. Fans can support the Squad21 program using #Squad21.
"The military has been a part of my family for a long time, but especially now with my sister and brother-in-law serving our country. I've always held people who do that in very high regard for the sacrifices they make," said Palmieri. "Because of my personal connection, I'm really looking forward to the program and hosting these families. I'm sure they're going to be excited to come watch a game, so it's going to be an enjoyable experience for all of us."
Devils Military Appreciation Night will also feature Devils players wearing camo colored warm-up jerseys prior to puck drop, which will be signed and auctioned off to benefit United Service Organizations (USO). Fans can bid on the autographed jerseys starting Saturday at NewJerseyDevils.com. The Devils will also host and recognize more than 300 service personnel at the game, including crew members from the USS Iwo Jima, who will hold the American flag during the National Anthem.
The following people will also participate and be recognized during Devils Military Appreciation Night:
- United States Coast Guard veteran Kristine Rommel will perform the National Anthem;
- The McGuire Air Force Base Honor Guard will present the nation's colors;
- Retired United States Marine Christian Benedetto will be honored as the Hero of the Game;
- The Devils have partnered with Jack Daniels to bring 100 military families to the game as part of Jack Daniel's Operation Ride Home;
- The United Heroes League (formally Defending The Blue Line) will be honored as the Group of the Game;
- In-game video features will include American-born Devils players thanking those who have served our country.
Tickets for Devils Military Appreciation Night can be purchased at NewJerseyDevils.com/tickets.