Here's what you need to know for tonight's road game in Washington!
1. The Devils are playing their first road game of 2015-16. New Jersey is playing a road opener in Washington for the fourth time overall and the first time since Oct. 9, 2010.
2. Tonight’s contest is the club’s first vs. the Metropolitan Division. The Devils were 10-13-7 within the Metro last season.
3. The Devils are closing out their first of 12 sets of back-to-back games. New Jersey doesn’t play another back-to-back set until Nov. 27-28, a home-and-home against Montreal.
4. Travis Zajac and Washington forwards Taylor Chorney and T.J. Oshie were teammates at the University of North Dakota in 2005-06. Zajac has 1g-5a-6pts over his last eight games vs. the Capitals.
5. The Devils are 5-3-1 at Verizon Center since 2011-12.
6. Six players – Sergey Kalinin, John Moore, Kyle Palmieri, David Schlemko, Lee Stempniak and Jiri Tlusty – made their Devils’ debut in last night's season opener, which tied a team record. It had happened three times previously.
Bonus: On this day in 1985, Paul Gagne scored a hat trick in New Jersey’s 6-5 win at Philadelphia. Gagne was an original Devil, and posted 71g-71a-142pts in four seasons with the club from 1982-86.