Here's what you need to know for tonight's 2015-16 season opener at Prudential Center!
1. The Devils are opening the regular season at Prudential Center for the first time since Oct. 8, 201. New Jersey is 19-8-5 in season-openers all-time and is 17-9-6 in home openers.
2. Coach John Hynes is set to make his NHL coaching debut behind the Devils’ bench. At, 40 years, 7 months-old, Hynes is the youngest head coach in the NHL. He’ll also become the third-youngest coach in Devils’ history behind Jim Schoenfeld, who was 35 years-old when he took over on Jan. 26, 1988 & Billy MacMillan, the team’s first-ever head coach, who was 39 on Oct. 5, 1982.
3. Andy Greene was named the 11th captain in Devils’ history today. Mike Cammalleri, Patrik Elias, Adam Henrique and Travis Zajac will serve as alternates.
4. Kyle Palmieri is expected to make his Devils debut tonight, joining Jim Dowd as just the second player from New Jersey to ever skate for the Devils. Palmieri played two seasons of high school hockey at St. Peter’s Prep (Jersey City) from 2005-07 before joining the USNDP. He was Anaheim’s first pick, 26th overall, in the 2009 Entry Draft.
5. Cammalleri will become the first player in Devils’ history to wear the No. 13 on his jersey tonight. He’s just the second player in franchise history to suit up with No. 13, joining Robin Burns – cousin of the late former Devils coach and Hall-of-Famer Pat Burns – who wore it with the Kansas City Scouts in the 1970’s.
6. Stephen Gionta is celebrating his 32nd birthday today. (Happy birthday, Gio!)